Sources for cheap barley?

Reaction score
You know, it's kind of ridiculous what we pay for those little sacks of barley straw.

Has anyone found local sources of cheap barley straw?

I've been asking around a little bit. Someone told me that there are some folks not far from us who are growing barley for hog feed. I'm not sure about how that there farmin' stuff works, but I'm hoping they might say we can cut a truckload of barley straw for a few bucks. If I can find them...

Reaction score
According to the study on which the barley straw myth is based you'd only need about 1/4 handful. I'd guess the farmer would give you that. Or you can order some seeds and grow your own. The study didn't specify a variety of barley and stores selling it don't either so I see no reason why the "farmin' stuff" wouldn't work every bit as well. But of course by that standard lawn clippings would work every bit as well.

After you add a truckload of barley you'll want to know how to remove tannins from the water...the yellowish brown color rotting straw adds to the water.

Reaction score
Dangit, now, Waterbug, there you go again bursting people's bubbles. I'll have to google 'barley straw myth'. I thought that most folks agreed that there was some benefit to adding the barley straw?

EDIT: The very first google hit was from a website called Waterbug Design. That's an odd coincidence there, don't you think? Hmmm

ANOTHER EDIT: The Waterbug Design website guy says he's in Phoenix. Waterbug's signature says "Location:phoenix AZ" The plot thickens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, I can't speak for studies or Google searches, but I know that it sure seems to work for me. I got mine from PetSmart, 2 bales for $12 not sure if that is expensive or not, but since 1 bale is good for up to 1000 gallons and lasts 4 months seems like it's not a bad deal to me.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I got a bale for about $10. or so at a nursery but had to drive a ways to get it. Was hard to find here. Just got lucky finding it on the internet and it being in our area. Would not have thought Petsmart would have sold it. Bet they don't here tho but then who knows?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen it at the tractor supply store.

Reaction score
EDIT: The very first google hit was from a website called Waterbug Design. That's an odd coincidence there, don't you think? Hmmm
That is indeed me. I've been following the barley myth though the years, I think from the beginning. It's been interesting watching sellers evolve marketing to catch more people. But they could never do it without dozens of people swearing it works.

Dr Johnson at KoiVet mentions barley in one of his videos. Pretty funny, not an endorsement.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This is what it looks like from petsmart.....the box came with 2

Attachments

• WP_001197.jpg
    WP_001197.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 300
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I do not use barley pouches. I use barley extracty and peat exctract. It seems to be doing fine for me through the years. It is not to expensive and lasts for a while. Easy to measure and add to the water.

Ask a Question