Spring/Pond Build

Reaction score
Thank you for the kind comments.
From the first picture above you can see my main 3" pond drain pipe that can adjust to my prefered water level via a threaded 90 with a stem pipe. I have now excavated below this pipe elevation. I can still drain below this level but, it works like a siphon due to the 300 ft down hill pipe run. I would like to install a bottom drain tied to this for periodic silt clean up and easier complete drainings. This set up produces a strong suction so I'm not really concerned on clogs but more on fish safety. Any recommendations on a fish safe clean out drain? If with an air bubbler all the better but not required.

Reaction score
With the nice weather this weekend I got a little more diggin done. Oh yeah, and rocks and rocks and more rocks.

Attachments

• IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 244
Reaction score
OK, the major digging is complete and now the pond can fill again. I'm really glad to have that done before the nasty weather comes. This weekend I started on the mountain side of the pond and it is going together very well and looks much more natural that I had expected. To give a bit of perspective, this wall is 9' high, it is 3' high x 7' deep of old concrete slabs as the footer and 5' high of boulders on top, stair stepped to the top. Seems like my pictures make it small thr than it really is. Those big boulders cannot be budged without a piece of equipment.

Can't wait for spring so I can start the softscape. Initial thought but, I'm thinking of an alpine garden with Junipers, Spruce, Cyprus and sedums and such but, still don't know for sure. Any recommendations welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0837.jpg
    IMG_0837.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 221
Reaction score
Been a long time since I've updated this post. Moving along at a snails pace but, still making progress. Just finished the cap stone on the one side of the pond and working on more of the landscaping. I so badly want to get back to the waterfall portion of the project but, trying to get some other stuff done first. More to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 233
Reaction score
Thank you all. This feels like a life time project but, I really enjoy working on it and enjoy the gratification of my effort as it moves along. I already have future expansion plans that should work out nicely but, that’s when I run out of work on this build.

I have a question on external pumps that I have been pondering for a while. I keep going back and forth on what I want. I really like the idea of a two stage pump. In most cases I plan on running it in the slower gph but, want to be able to really kick it into high gear when I want. I hear nothing but good things about the Sequence pumps but they don't have a two stage.

Instead of a two stage I was thinking of maybe putting two pumps in parallel with each other? Just thinking if there is an advantage to this over a two stage and if I did go this route, would I then run two pipes in parallel from the pumps or converge into one pipe. I don't really need the redundancy and the cost would be more so, I'm trying to justify and still question my thinking. What would you do and why?

Reaction score
why exactly are you needing to kick it up for? A two stage pump has a high head of pressure and is not for typical set ups. I would not do a 2-stage pump because I have no need for it.

What are you trying to do?

Reaction score
Airic said:
Now you are all current on my build. This last weekend I finished building the dam retaining wall till I get more stone. Added a stone book end till I start up again. Still need to level the top and add a rock edge but, done enough to let the pond fill again.

Next up is the spillway and more rock collecting. After the spillway it gets exciting with the start building the bio filter and waterfall.

Do I spy a couple empty "wobbly pops" in the lower left hand side on a rock? You have to stay hydrated and motivated ya know...:lol:

Ask a Question