Stainless steel ponds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Will stainless steel pond liners kill fish and plants?

Hi and welcome! Stainless steel is very inert so I would think it's pretty harmless, however I don't know how it would work in a pond that is outside. A few issues are algae may not be able to coat the inside properly like you would have on an epdm liner so the nitrogen cycle may not function the way you would normally want it to work. Maybe the biggest problem is the liner may get too hot in direct sunlight and raise the pond water higher than is safe for your fish or plants for that matter too. Another problem I see is it would reflect sunlight too much and that could be a problem. Maybe you would have to buy your fish sunglasses :). I'm guessing they probably use steel for indoor use for aquaponics or hydroponics, but it doesn't seem to make sense for an outdoor pond.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I friend of mine had a huge stainless steel tub for his outside pond. His fish did great and it did get covered with algae. He had gold fish and koi.

He had it in ground. It was a big therapy tub that was not in use anymore and tossed out.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-11-1_9-32-6.gif
@CapCarl
My hubby built me a stainless waterfall tub and it is holding up well and gets algae build up on it.

Ask a Question