Started my pond!!!

Reaction score
Actually it's a 20 gal. The skippy mini uses a 20 gal tub but I liked that this is more narrow and taller. At first I was worried that maybe this was too small but those "pressurized" filters are so tiny and supposedly for pretty large volume ponds.

Well I evened things up today and kinda designed my fall. Right now I have it set for a 3 step but I think I'm gonna change it to a 2 step fall. I didn't go get my silt today. We had 50mph wind here in Vegas today and I didn't think shoveling sand would be a good idea. Here is a pic with everything kinda smoothed out. I'm gonna pick out some rocks for the fall tomorrow, lliner and silt probably Monday,UV gets here monday, Pump gets here Wed. Should be done by the end of the week.

??? I hve a question though....What is everyone using for plumbing. That flexible pond tubing is pretty pricey. The landscape place has some vinyl tubbing and it seems pricey too which surprises me. I was thinking about using some irrigation line but didn't see 1in. OR...Using flexible tubbing exiting the pond then using PVC the rest of the way

IMG_1594.jpg

Thanks again...BA

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
your gonna have to divert some water flow before the filter using a 2000 gph pump the water wont spend enough time in the filter for it do its job properly. or just keep your fish numbers down. 2000 gph is 33+gallons a minute and a 20 gallon filter means the water would spend about 45 seconds in the filter...not enough time...tee it off put a control valve and put some of the flow right in the top of the filter so it just flows out the out pipe, not thru the filter, or right in the falls,or use it just for light pond circulation.

Reaction score
Yeah I figured that and I am gonna use a T with a Ball Valve. I'll divert through my UV light that says it can do 700gph and just route that to the waterfall.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
All my pipes are a mix of sch 40 pvc ,and the pricy suction hose,,you cant go cheep here ,,if you just want to do it once..

Reaction score
PVC :banana:

That's what I wanted to hear. I was thinking about running the Pricey Flex hose out of the pond to the pvc. Running PVC towards the filter, T'ing it off with the PVC, putting a Ball Valve on the UV one. (I figured I could use the ball valve to regulate the UV flow cause as I close it the water will go towards the filter and in turn regulate that also) Then using the Flex again from there, 1 to the filter and 1 to the UV.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You will not regret using the flex lines. When you have to lift your pumps out to clean them all you need do is gently lift them using the flex line. I say gently because some pumps are not made very strong where the outlet is.

Reaction score
I put in the Sand this weekend & cleaned everything up all nice. Also dug my trench for my plumbing.
Today I picked up my Liner/underliner, some boulders, 6-12in river rock, and some scrubbiees for my filter. I put in the liner today and have been playing with the rocks trying different waterfall ideas. Tomorrow I'll pick up some plumbing and some mortar and I'll build the waterfall. ..Here are some pics. Water fall is not set in stone yet..:claphands:..Literally.. still playing with ideas...Any last minute advice...go for it :bowdown:

How many wrinkles in the liner is "to many"

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

Reaction score
OH....Still debating using waterfall foam instead of mortar...

Maybe Just waiting for my pump ..turning everything on and seeing where I need it....HMMM any input???

Reaction score
Looks good. I used the Pricey Flex Pipe from the pum to a ball valve to control flow. Then used SCH 40 PVC for the filter itself. I decided to use the waterfall foam instead of mortar Just incase I decided later to change the look I figured it would be easier to Break the foam loose than mortar. I found the 12oz cans of foam for less than $10 a piece which was $3 cheaper than I could find locally.

As far as the liner goes. I noticed most of the wrinkles (creases) really became less noticeable when I started adding water. I still have to hide the ones around the edges with plants and rocks.

Keep us updated it looks awesome.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Its what you dont see..No liner above the water line. = Nice

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips gentlemen...Well I'm just about done. Rocked and Foamed the Fall, Stacked rocks on the first step to the outside. I even filled it with water to check the waterline :bouncycig: before I foamed the fall. Unfortunately I don't get my pump till thurs. I'm gonna get some more rock to finish edging and hiding the liner, and run all my plumbing tomorrow/thursday. That way all I gotta do is put the pump in place and turn it on....It looks awesome...But you guys gotta wait till I get my pump and finish edging a bit for more pics....(Thursday night).....

Thanks to all you guys during this whole process, your insight and advice has been invaluable :)

See ya...BA

Reaction score
Well I told you guys I's post pics today so here is one. I need some more foam around the fall it's squeaking around some spaces still. I'm pretty smoked so I'll get some updates on the stuff I ran into later...Plus my time off work ends Sat. I've spent all my time off working my butt off....I'll post some better pics later especially once my fall is honed in.....

IMG_1639.jpg

Ask a Question