Getting started - how to build a pond?

Reaction score
Hi everyone. We would like to build a small pond for our geese. Do you have any idea where/if we can buy a pond liner in central Bulgaria? If not, any advice on how we would go about building a pond and what materials would be best - and who sells it? Many thanks for reading this.

Reaction score
Hello John and Ria,

First and foremost, WELCOME to the Garden Pond Forum! Wonderful to have you join us.

To your question on liner, I certainly would have no personal information regarding where to buy EPDM liner in your area. You'll want at least 45 mil thick EPDM liner for this pond. That is usually the norm.

Is there a google (or other) search feature for your specific area? Like Google.eu or something akin to that which would bring up search results from your region only? Beyond that, I don't think I am much help to you in this regard.

There are many opinions on how to construct a pond, and we probably have them all right here. We have garden ponds, indoor ponds, outdoor ponds, koi ponds, goldfish ponds, turtle ponds, baitfish ponds, ponds for elderly dogs with hearing and sight problems and now, with you, goose ponds! :) Sounds so fun, it's giving me goose bumps! :)

I'd say the first thing in order is to start with what you believe you need or what you desire for your geese and then ask if the pond is going to be only for the geese and no other critters? Or will you be adding fish/turtles or other aquatic species in the future? How large of an area and how deep? Also, if it is going to be a pond for geese, I know firsthand that you are going to need a pretty good filtering system to keep the water clean. I have seen what geese can do to a 3 acre sized lake, they are not the cleanest animals in this regard. Then you need to address the expense you are willing to put forth for the pond. Depending upon what you construct, you can get into a large sum of money quickly.

I am going to assume that you desire it to appear naturally aesthetic so that it is a beautiful flora habitat as well and blends into the landscape.

With a little chat here and there, we will probably supply you with some really great ideas for this project (and maybe some not so good ones, too - sorry, you have to take the bad with the good). But I want to provide you a link so that you can look up some really good help tips from one pond builder called ThePondDigger. I like his videos on youtube and I like his style. he's not the only one out there, of course, but I think he has some valuable tips for people like us so that we can DIY our ponds. Check it out and browse around and see if anything appears that might help you out. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePondDigger

Gordy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
WELCOME and friend had geese and he tried that and water stunk in just 2 days from poop and he did not have but a dirty water pump to drain it and refill it every 2 days .A real mess

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mikes geese

Attachments

• arthur and wade rd house 008.JPG
    arthur and wade rd house 008.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 306

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Canada Geese are a real problem in the parks around our area. If they're walkin', they're crappin', which makes the lawn areas a real mess. They're also quite aggressive.

Ask a Question