Started Up the Pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Koiguy I am sure we will get a lot more snow before May thing is now it wont stay more than a day. Shouldn't get colder than high 20's low 30's again this year. Our ground thaws early as well I think because of the many sunny days we get in the high desert and the lack of moisture in the ground

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Looks great Pecan. Cant wait to get mine started up and start adding plants around the pond. Not any time soon though as we are in another real cold snap. We will be below 0 tonight with wind chills -35. :( So ridiculously tired of it right now.

Reaction score
Pecan
You are sooo lucky! My holding tanks inside are at maxium with koi from my pond and the new guys and gals I am adding. Every weed has been pulled, every shrubb fertlized, new spring plants added. We are expecting Snow showers again today:(:(. I am tired of reading my Koi books.
its was so bad yesterday, I found my self FLUFFING my mulch around the pond. Must be the worst case of Pond Fever ever.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here is our weather for the this week. Normal would be highs in the mid 40's. It has been in the 60's the last three days and 50's since the first of Feb. I am sure glad I got the pond started up. I was worried about it being warmer with no water flow.
weatherfeb14.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
so when you redo your pond do you plan on bigger or just deeper .I know with mine I stress out at moving 2 big koi and worry about there health ,so don't wait until they get to big .I am waiting until this little bad weather goes by and ground water seeps away and gets warm enough to lay liner out in the sun to help aid in the flexability of it .It is going to be heavy I do know that

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
so when you redo your pond do you plan on bigger or just deeper .I know with mine I stress out at moving 2 big koi and worry about there health ,so don't wait until they get to big .I am waiting until this little bad weather goes by and ground water seeps away and gets warm enough to lay liner out in the sun to help aid in the flexability of it .It is going to be heavy I do know that

It will be deeper. Probably a little smaller in foot print but double the gallonage. It will be about 10,000 gallons. I plan on taking some of the space used by the current pond to put a small lily pond next to the new deeper koi pond but completely separate.. It will be 2016 at the soonest.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know those fish are a pain to catch and your size pond even worse and then you have to put them some where and be concerned about there health and then you have to worry about the weather .Which by the way I wish the weathermen could be a little more accurate here .I worry night and day right now .Only aggie and bert are still in the pond and have to keep adding water and then testing it there and in both tanks .REAL PAIN

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I know those fish are a pain to catch and your size pond even worse and then you have to put them some where and be concerned about there health and then you have to worry about the weather .Which by the way I wish the weathermen could be a little more accurate here .I worry night and day right now .Only aggie and bert are still in the pond and have to keep adding water and then testing it there and in both tanks .REAL PAIN

Yep, wont be an easy task for sure. I will likely drain it down before trying to catch them so I am working in far less space. I have been batting around ideas about what to do with them. One would be build a smaller pond to be used as a future QT but also a place to keep them during the build. Or I could get a temporary large container, hook both my skippies to it and keep them there through the build. Not sure but I still have a while to consider the options.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I thought of building a temp pond also but did not want the extra work and since I had stock tanks and 2 filters it was easier this way .I don't need the extra work with mowing the grass coming soon .I just wish the liner was not so heavy .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have been doing a ton of research and I decided if/when I re-do my pond I will go all out. If I am going to go to the time, money and trouble I figure do everything I want. Therefore it will be a while before I do it.

The pond will be in the same location. Sort of an hour glass shape that has been stretched. The two wide areas will be about 12' with a 4' waist. current pond is 17' at the widest. The length will be about 40'. Current pond is 24' I believe. Depth will be 6' in the two wide areas and 5' in the waist. 4 Bottom drains plumbed to a completely separate filter area. That feed two sieves then to a Bakki shower filter and plumbed back to the water fall. 2 skimmers that are plumbed to a sieve then 4 55 gallon sand /gravel filters and back to mid water returns in the pond.

I'd like to keep it at about 10,000 gallons so I may need to adjust the measurements slightly to stay at that gallonage, There will be a large patio which sort of jets out into hte water near the waist. Then a bridge going over the waist to the patio.

I want to do concrete and xypex instead of a liner.

Big big aspirations, therefor it will be years LOL.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sure sounds like it would be wonderful

Waterfall_4.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sure sounds like it would be wonderful

Waterfall_4.gif

Wonderful and expensive! :confused:

But first things first. Our house has been under construction for 6 months. Small master bedroom addition. No sign of completion and we are about ready to fire the contractor. :( I really should spend my time focusing on that but ponds are much funner to think about.

Ask a Question