addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We gave each other a cruise for christmas, it left cold baltimore and headed for the warm bahamas.
On the way, 15 foot waves, 60 mph winds, then the sun came out two days later. We had steam all over the ocean. It looked like the water was a soft blanket.

DSC00783.jpg

DSC00769.jpg

"Steam devils are whirls of steam that form over open water when very cold air from Canada moves over the region"

The steam devils showed up, they went from the water into the clouds.

DSC00780.jpg

steamspout3.jpg

steamspout5.jpg

And of course flying fish! Hard to get a shot from the 8th floor!

flyingfish.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very cool photos. Never heard of steam devils before. Hope you had a nice time. I wondered what happened to you. Glad to have you back but maybe you would have preferred to stay in the warmth of the Bahama's

duckraft.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It was in the 60's there, but after 8 here it was warm! The predicted rain stayed away.
I was thinking water spouts but looked it up after we got home. They were so neat to watch, the steam would start going in circles then lift to the sky. You could even watch them raise into the clouds.

steamspout.jpg

We have a great time no matter the weather. We both enjoy just being on the water, always get a balcony room to be able to watch the ocean go by, and ..............eating way too much. Luckily only 1.5 lbs to get rid of this time.

We tend to just stay on the boat.

Ask a Question