sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I start my fish off with all natural garlic in there food to help them feed better .I also net the bottom of waste 2 or 3 times a week .With bogs the more plants the better by what I see .I found out a lot about bogs from addy and also you tube seems to be a lot of them out there these days .I guess they not only look pretty but really work great if you have a lot of plants .

Reaction score
Any idea how much water your pump pushes? Like mentioned you might be able to find a pump that pushed similar water for less power. I tried to get specs on the pump you have but couldn't find anything on that specific model.....

Sequence/Reeflo Dart moves 3000-3500 GPH at 5ft head & 150-200w
Hammerhead if I recall does 4000-5000 gph 5-10ft head & 300-400w

The performance pro pumps that came with my Advantage plug and play 1/3-63 pull around 440w at 6ft head & move around 6300 GPH

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have a 5500 GPH pump that runs 24/7 from March to December and have not noticed a raise in my electrical bill. There are good pumps that run off very little power nowadays. I think it is even more important to run your pump 24/7 with Koi. Like others said, more plants! The more plants you have in your bog, the more filtration. From what I have read a bog that is heavily planted and is 50 percent the surface size of the pond will keep water clean enough to swim in.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a 5500 GPH pump that runs 24/7 from March to December and have not noticed a raise in my electrical bill. There are good pumps that run off very little power nowadays. I think it is even more important to run your pump 24/7 with Koi. Like others said, more plants! The more plants you have in your bog, the more filtration. From what I have read a bog that is heavily planted and is 50 percent the surface size of the pond will keep water clean enough to swim in.

Our pond water has less ppm of particles then our drinking well water. I have and do swim with the fishes, they tickle when they nibble on you.' My bog is around 30% but seems to do a fine job of keeping all in great shape.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a sequence 7200RPM and it supplies both my creeks and waterfall nicely and soon to be bog as well.

If you don't have a bottom drain in your bog area, every now and then net it out

Addy how is a BD going to work in a bog? How are you keeping the drain from getting clogged with gravel, what kind of screen are you using? Then do you shut off the bog and just let it gravity drain or do you use a hose and force the stuff to the bottom and hopefully to the drain?

Reaction score
Addy1: What is the value of pea gravel in the bog? Other than to make it more difficult to clean out the fish poop that lodges in the interstices? My bog has no bottom drain but I can reverse the pump with the siphon effect and get most of the bog liquids to get back to the big pond, then vacuum or pump out the gunk from the bog.....

Is there any reason to go with one bacterial soup versus another? Do I need these microbe lifts at all?

Tell me again why use bottom facing holes in the PVC pipe? Upward facing may reduce the probability of clogging especially if I just stick with lava rocks and sponge material and no pea gravel?

Do you see anything wrong with trying this first before I dump in pea gravel?

harry

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a sequence 7200RPM and it supplies both my creeks and waterfall nicely and soon to be bog as well.

Addy how is a BD going to work in a bog? How are you keeping the drain from getting clogged with gravel, what kind of screen are you using? Then do you shut off the bog and just let it gravity drain or do you use a hose and force the stuff to the bottom and hopefully to the drain?

I have a drain in my bog, sort of, it is the piping that feeds the bog. We have emptied it twice to work on the piping. No muck came out. Mainly for Harry I was thinking if his bog is like a second small pond i.e. no pea gravel, but plants and some filter material, the debris will settle to the bottom. My deck ponds get a layer of muck in them that I just vacuum out.

If mine ever decides to clog up, which I don't think it will, we can open the ball valve stir the gravel or use a garden hose to push water from the top towards the bottom to flush the gravel. I used to do that with my mini bogs (whiskey barrels) filters I had on one of my arizona ponds, back flush the gravel, bottom drain in the barrel to let the dirty water out.

Addy1: What is the value of pea gravel in the bog? Other than to make it more difficult to clean out the fish poop that lodges in the interstices? My bog has no bottom drain but I can reverse the pump with the siphon effect and get most of the bog liquids to get back to the big pond, then vacuum or pump out the gunk from the bog.....

Is there any reason to go with one bacterial soup versus another? Do I need these microbe lifts at all?

Tell me again why use bottom facing holes in the PVC pipe? Upward facing may reduce the probability of clogging especially if I just stick with lava rocks and sponge material and no pea gravel?

Do you see anything wrong with trying this first before I dump in pea gravel?

harry

A bog / plant filter can be however you make it. I put my piping with slots facing down, with my pea gravel did not want to have to dig up those pipes, (2.5 feet down) to dig out pea gravel that might clog up the holes. Without pea gravel, if you are doing lava rocks, sponge material, plants, you don't even really need bottom piping. Just have your water run from the one end through the media, plants lava rock etc on its way to the pond. My small ponds get a lot of settled muck on the bottom of them, I just clean them out once a year. They make great plant filters for the big pond.

Try adding stuff to your bog, plants etc then you can decide if you want to go the pea gravel route. I chose the pea gravel because I wanted a well planted bog.

I don't use any of the bacterial soup stuff. Some do and like it.

Reaction score
What sort of pump are you guys using that allows you to run 24/7 and not notice an electrical bill spike (or do you pay so much in electricity that +/-$100 isn't noticable?
I ask because one of the recommanded pumps http://www.aquacave.com/Sequence-Primer-7200-SW-Water-Pump-P503.aspx seems to draw 539Watts. So unless I've screwed up somewhere: .539 KW/hr x 24 hours x 30 days x $.15 KWhr = $58.21

Reaction score
Mario: Your math is correct. In the East the cost/kwh is more like 20-25 cents/kwh....

After reading all the helpful posts on this forum I decided to use the big filter and waterfall for "son et lumiere" purposes and solve my water clarity problem by other means.

I have fired up a very small pump to move water through my bog -- almost no plumbing, no skippy filter with vortices, etc, no pea gravel. Just running water slowly across big sponges and bags of lava rocks. This has already done wonders for the water clarity and I will give it more time before taking further steps to enhance bog efficiency.

Now that the fish can see each other I am hoping that the koi are stimulated to "go forth and multiply". If they do not I shall be confirmed in my suspicions about their gender preferences.

Harry

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
mario...539 watts for only 6600 gph doesnt sound like a good power rating...you could run 3 laguna 4200 gph pumps and use 540 watts, max,and have 12,600 gph of flow... and the purchase price for all 3, would be comparable to the price listed in your link.
pumps and filtration should run 24/7. i live in the east, run multiple pumps and it costs about $20 a month.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow never heard of a pump that uses that many watts for only that much gph ,I'm guessing they don't sell many of them .Most pump manufacturers are reducing cost on running there pumps so they can still sell them .Problem with that is that some of them are not looking at longevity of the pump .I was reading on consumer affairs sight that a lot of the name brand pumps now are not getting very good ratings .Either because they don't last or because they do not meet the electric use ratings and even on there warranty programs .I was amazed at how many are on the list .I think I will stay with my cheap harbor freight one and my lowes one .And funny is the ratings are good on them ,just a few small issues that I have not even run into .I guess it all comes down to the fact that electric rates will continue to go up and there is no changing that .But if I buy a pump I would surely want it to last and also not want to have to ship it somewhere to be repaired and wait to get it back ,fish don't wait and water quality does not wait either .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sissy do you have that link on which pumps don't last very long and which do? I know you said Consumer Affairs but how do I find it there?

Reaction score
Now you have me thinking that I should look at new pump.
My pond is about 2200Gal, and I'm using a pump that I bought about ~12 years ago, but never fired up, that is until I built my current pond (about 1.5 seasons ago).
I'm looking at the specs for my Little Giant 3000Gph, and it looks like I'm sucking 750watts worth of electricity.
That's 750 watts for only 3000 gallons per hour.
I don't run my pump 24/7, which I probably should. If I did, it looks like I would be spending about $47/month if electricity was at $.15/KWH.
At this rate, if you have any suggestions about a better submersible pump, please let me know. Even if the pump is few hundred bucks, If I can save $15-20 per month, the cost of the new pump will pay for itself in a year or so.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You have to get the consumer affairs book and my neighbor and i share the cost on it and it gives you the online version which the book allows you to go on .Not sure if you can get the info free or not ,never even thought about it .I know you can't copy it because i tried and it won't let you it just refers you back to the book

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
like i said in my post above...LAGUNA pumps are hard to beat for low power draw and good head heights. a 4200gph laguna draws 170 watts...3 or 4 year warranty. under $200 on ebay from webbs or countryfishgirl. heres a link: http://www.ebay.com/...=item53ec2ad4e7
laguna pumps have a computerized circuit that controls power flow for optimum efficiency and performance.

Ask a Question