Goldfish attacked by Heron, still hanging on...help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there,

2 days ago a large Heron got one of my large goldfish, and carried at away to a neighbors yard, they rescued her, and got her back in the pond. She has a few stab wounds, but is still alive. Yesterday she was upright and moving around a little bit, but today she is upside down, but still breathing. i treated the pond with Pima fix yesterday and today, but she's not doing well. Any suggestions or ideas to help? Thank you!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome, but sorry it has to be under these circumstances!

How big is your pond and how many fish do you have? Do you have a quarantine tank?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, Thank you! So, my pond is 10 x 5 x approx 3 feet deep. There's a big well on one side that is 4 feet deep with cement blocks and a big flagstone. lots of hiding. I have about 12 fish, only 4 big ones, the goldfish being one of the big ones. I do not have a quarantine tank... I had my pond for about 6 years, this is the first bird attack that I know of. The fish are in hiding, but I think all of the ret survived. I have a big net over the pond now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi, welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your fish.
How bad are the wounds? I had that happening to my fish before I covered the pond, unfortunately there isn't much you can do for a deep stab, the infection will eventually kill the fish, at least that has been my experience:(

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When mine were stabbed by the heron, they never survived. I lost a few until I finally figured out how to keep the heron out.

Sorry about the fish being stabbed.

I lost a beautiful blind butterfly rescue fish, saw the heron with it in its beak. The bird, dropped the fish when I screamed at it, but it died.

Reaction score
Country
United States
i feel so terrible for her. This is day 4 and she is still upside down and breathing, I just checked on her. Should I put her out of her misery? I am glad she got to go back into the pond, the Heron dragged her out onto the roof and dropped her on the ground, she was severely traumatized. I am at a loss, and feel terrible.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry to hear all this . My friend has the same thing going on. He used game cameras to see how it was getting in. He lost about 4 fish, three he ate on camera and one way to big to eat, dropped when flying away.

If you can stand watching I would let it ruin its coarse Could recover.... Fingers crossed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, i really don't think i could do anything anyway. Poor thing. ugh. Thank you for talking with me. I will keep you posted. I treated the water again last night, and may do it again. Maybe i will try to quarantine her.... seems even more traumatic though.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-5-12_8-32-41.gif
@Justin warner Sorry to hear about your fish and hope she makes it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
So sorry, how traumatic ! If you don't see improvement , then I would humanely euthanize......she has to be miserable :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Take the gold fish out place her in a baggie like you were going to ship/ transport her. Place her in the freezer as the temp drops she will going into winter sleep and then a pertinent sleep

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm sorry this happened. This is when you wish the bird had just done the job it set out to do. We met a pond owner who came out one morning to find ten or twelve of his big koi all stabbed and laying around the pond, dead. A heron had caught them one by one and decided they were too big to eat and just left them to die. Nature can be both beautiful and cruel.

Ask a Question