Strange ID question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
May be a strange question but asking due to my previous filter has these in and all over the internal plastic when cleaning.

Do you know if any small crustaceans or animals live in the filter media and attach to plastic? I know is sounds strange but it's always bugged me when cleaning the old filters out and I see scattered about in filter small tea grain/seed size filaments attached to the internal filter and also on the UV lamp.

I wish I had a picture and will check the old and now cleaned filter to see if any visible.

Is this something people are aware of in their filters and what are they.

I do hope you all ain't gonna say it's fish poo attached to the plastic as spend a good 30 mins scrubbing off with my hands :sick::sick:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
May be a strange question but asking due to my previous filter has these in and all over the internal plastic when cleaning.

Do you know if any small crustaceans or animals live in the filter media and attach to plastic? I know is sounds strange but it's always bugged me when cleaning the old filters out and I see scattered about in filter small tea grain/seed size filaments attached to the internal filter and also on the UV lamp.

I wish I had a picture and will check the old and now cleaned filter to see if any visible.

Is this something people are aware of in their filters and what are they.

I do hope you all ain't gonna say it's fish poo attached to the plastic as spend a good 30 mins scrubbing off with my hands :sick::sick:

If we're on the same page, any time I clean my pre-filter or bio-filter basket, these small live little creatures are squirming around. I hose them off and clean them out but read they're harmless. The name of them escapes me. Are we talking about the same thing? They usually attach to the baskets. Definitely moving around.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If we're on the same page, any time I clean my pre-filter or bio-filter basket, these small live little creatures are squirming around. I hose them off and clean them out but read they're harmless. The name of them escapes me. Are we talking about the same thing? They usually attach to the baskets. Definitely moving around.

Mines seem to be stationary and not moving/alive. I only see them within the filter and nowhere else. Trying to see if anyone has pics on Froogle but nowt.

I still have the old filter and will check to see if any dried out "things" are still attached.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Mines seem to be stationary and not moving/alive. I only see them within the filter and nowhere else. Trying to see if anyone has pics on Froogle but nowt.

I still have the old filter and will check to see if any dried out "things" are still attached.

Mine are by the hundreds and alive...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not sure if this is what you’re talking about, but these guys are little amphipods that act as scavengers (beneficial) called “scuds”. I’ll look the official name up and post it.

264B5C48-1D35-4E4A-A1E2-EA433CBBF4D8.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Not sure if this is what you’re talking about, but these guys are little amphipods that act as scavengers (beneficial) called “scuds”. I’ll look the official name up and post it.

View attachment 129968

Actually, That's one good closeup but I believe that's what I see hundreds of in my prefilter and my filter box. Bizarre little creatures.
Thanks and if you find the true species name, let me know! TY again! Just came back here to see if this sounds familiar. Gammarus!!!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yep, those are Gammarus shrimp nick named scuds found in every type of water fresh, salt, brackish.

@Shell-Fish google black fly larvae....sounds like what you have. They are harmless.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Actually, That's one good closeup but I believe that's what I see hundreds of in my prefilter and my filter box. Bizarre little creatures.
Thanks and if you find the true species name, let me know! TY again! Just came back here to see if this sounds familiar. Gammarus!!!
Yep, that’s what they are! Not only are they beneficial and a sign of a healthy pond, they also make super fish-treats! Get some on your hand (don’t worry, they tickle but won’t hurt you) and stick your hand in the water so they’ll swim off — where your fish can see them, of course.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Manged to find some dried up and this is defo what I had when cleaning out the filter. Scuds you say?

DSC_2476.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yep, those are Gammarus shrimp nick named scuds found in every type of water fresh, salt, brackish.

@Shell-Fish google black fly larvae....sounds like what you have. They are harmless.

Mine are slimy looking and more snail like but tiny! I'll take a pic this week as pre-filter is due for a cleaning.
Thx

Ask a Question