Strawberry Pot Trickle Tower Filter or Other Options

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The water flows through the lava rock and out the holes on the bottom of the pot.

Reaction score
The water flows through the lava rock and out the holes on the bottom of the pot.

Yes we know but the question was asked:

Did you silicone where the tubing enters the bottom so no water escapes through the bottom?

And then your response was:

Yes, I used fish safe (100% silicone) to seal the bottom.

That is not the proper way to do it. In a biological filter such as this one, the bottom should be open so that all of the water can get out. You do not want a pool of water at the bottom of the pot. That is not how proper biological filtration works. You want a lot of oxygen, and the water to be constantly flowing over media. None of the media should be submerged in water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So it would be best to not silicone the holes at the bottom and sit it on something to prop the bottom up above the water level in the bog, if I were to put it in the bog?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Mine was more for decoration, I didn't think that size of a pot would do much for actual filtration on the size of my pond. I have a bio and bog. I liked seeing the water flow out of the bottom openings of the pot. I do like the idea of putting it in the bog.

Reaction score
Yes falling down into the bog would be great. One other thing to consider is is the water prefiltered at all? You don't want to senda lit of debris into the pot because it can clog up the small holes in the rocks, which makes the bacterial less effective. I'm not saying it has to be prefiltered, but it would be better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Mine was not. I had the pump off the floor. The pot was pretty nasty at the end of the year. I just threw the lava rocks away, clean out the pot and stored it in the shed til the next year. If it's going to be set up all year round, it would be better to have the water go clear through.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I thought your original thread stated that you wanted to use a strawberry pot. Strawberry pots have got holes all around the perimeter, so having a drain in the bottom is sort of moot, ce n'est pas?

(Chicks dig it when I talk French)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I thought your original thread stated that you wanted to use a strawberry pot. Strawberry pots have got holes all around the perimeter, so having a drain in the bottom is sort of moot, ce n'est pas?

(Chicks dig it when I talk French)

I think if the holes in the very bottom of the pot are sealed you would get standing water just up to the level of the first row of plant holes. Leaving the drain holes in the very bottom open would prevent that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Mine was not. I had the pump off the floor. The pot was pretty nasty at the end of the year. I just threw the lava rocks away, clean out the pot and stored it in the shed til the next year. If it's going to be set up all year round, it would be better to have the water go clear through.

I think mine would be seasonal as well and tossing the lava rock each year with the price of lava rock being cheap is easier than trying to clean it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes falling down into the bog would be great. One other thing to consider is is the water prefiltered at all? You don't want to senda lit of debris into the pot because it can clog up the small holes in the rocks, which makes the bacterial less effective. I'm not saying it has to be prefiltered, but it would be better.

I have somewhat of a pre-filter. The pump sits up off the bottom in two layers of milk crate with lava rock in mesh bags all around the intake. But i would probably still get some gunk in it.

There is a pot shop down the street from our house where the guy make his own pots for sale. He has some really cool pots and for a very reasonable price. I think I have seen really big Strawberry pots there. I am going to stop by and check them out.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I did not seal the hole up in the bottom and mine is also sitting in about a 1/2" of water. I am not worried about that 1/2" of water one way or the other. It is more for decorative purposes for me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't need the extra filtration. but since I have the extra hose thought it would be better do something with that water. I really like this idea since it is pleasing to the eye and requires little work of me :)

I will probably have it sitting in about a half inch of water like Tmann and wont seal the holes at the bottom. Less I have do to right ;)

Ask a Question