Got string algae but no nitrates

Reaction score
I've got a pond with a bog filter, and the water is crystal clear with no ammonia, no nitrites and no nitrates. I'm only just about to start feeding the fish as water is warming up so I expect the nitrates to rise. This should hopefully help the plants which are looking yellow. The thing is, that I thought string algae and other goopy algae forms when there is excess nitrates which allows the algae to thrive. How would I battle algae when nitrates are already too low?

Taken a couple photos below, but I had already cleared most the algae from the bog which is where it mostly looks bad.
20230508_131410.jpg

20230508_131419.jpg

20230508_131511.jpg

20230508_130130.jpg

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Probably a temporary phase. Manual removal and warming temps should help the plants out compete the algae.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Keep in mind, plants are pretty much dormant in the colder months. The reason your test kits show zero on nitrates is because the string algae is consuming it. Like @JRS said once the plants get going they will starve out the string algae.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
String Algae is your friend? Yes, it is and will eventually fade away. In the meantime, it is helping to control the water quality. You can manually remove it where it may clog a pump intake. I used to worry about it until I learned otherwise.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't think you have a lot of string algae at all - I pulled it out by the buckets this past weekend. Most I've ever seen in our pond. The waterfall was more waterfloooooooowwww than falls if you know what I mean! We had a relatively mild winter - I think that might be part of it. Let the plants kick into gear and the algae will fade away.

Reaction score
It was more the bog the I was bothered about. Every two days it's covered with algae, and I pull it out. Just cleaned it in the photos but u get the idea.

But yep, am happy to see how it pans out once the plants kick in.

Ask a Question