String algae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I know, "get more plants". But I have so many plants now, that there is nowhere to put anymore. String algae is starting to grow in the swimming pond, and rather than let it get out of hand like last year. I decided to take drastic measures. Now bear in mind, this is not a fish pond, or garden pond. But a dedicated swimming pond. With bog filtration. The bog is choked with plant life. No room for any more. Water is crystal clear, and doesn't even get green in spring. I keep debris vacuumed, and is well circulated. But, every year about this time, string algae starts to grow. It doesn't really bother me, but the grandkids don't like diving in, and comming out with the slimy green stuff in their hair. So, I decided to take extreme measures this year. I turned off the bog, and added about 2/3 of a quart of bleach to the pond. Didn't take long for the algae to start turning white. Then I jumped in with my brush. Hot day, and water was nice. I brushed off the walls, and floor. Then got out, and netted the floating strings, and clumps. Then got in and brushed some more. Got it all brushed loose, and the majority scooped out. Skimmer will get the rest, and what the skimmer doesn't get will settle to the bottom to be vacuumed tomorrow. After a couple of hours, I added chlorine killer stuff to remove the chlorine. I'll turn the bog back on tomorrow. I could have used hydrogen peroxide, but bleach is what I had on hand. Didn't take much. A little over half quart (about 20 OZ) For ~6500 gallons +/-. about an hour the algae was turning white. Still have the good bacteria in the bog, and I figure the plants will be able to remove more of the nutrients from the water left there (~500 gallons) while waiting on the "anti chlor" to do it's job.

I know, "bandaid for a bigger problem", But That may be for fish pond, but swimmin' pond has different rules.

Ask a Question