Stuff you got as a Kid for Xmas

B

Burd

image.jpg
image.jpg
I got a set like this when I was 4. Now days prob not for a 4 year old. Lol. I had a few tools left, bought the box on eBay, it turned out to be the smaller kit

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
'Way back when, I believe I was 4 or 5, My maternal grandmother sent me a Christmas package containing a hammer, a coping saw, and lots of small cut-offs from my uncle's pattern-making shop. 60-plus years later, I still have the tools. And I've been working with wood ever since!
John

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was spoiled with gifts at Christmas as a kid. Between Santa, my parents, and my grandparents, I got way too many presents. Nothing expensive, of course. Just many cheap things that I genuinely liked and would keep me busy. To be honest, I don't really remember much of it anymore. I know I had quite a few remote controlled gifts, like cars, jeeps, forklifts, tractors, and an ATV. I imagine many of the Hotwheels and Legos I still have were probably Christmas presents. Haven't so much as looked at them in years but I can't bring myself to get rid of them. Childhood memories.

I was thinking about childhood Christmases quite a bit this year. Especially when me and all my cousins took a group photo together. Even though we've been adults for awhile, some much longer than others, it was kind of eye-opening to see us all together as adults, many with families of their own. Some of us losing hair, some turning gray. There were quite a few kids running around my grandma's house this year, and it seems like it wasn't long ago that me and my cousins were the kids running around that same house. Hell, even one of those kids is nearly an adult now. Sometimes it feels like I've entered a time machine and all of the sudden here I am in the future. I wouldn't mind going back in time and enjoying the past just a little bit longer.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We used to get things like glass cutting kits, rock tumbling kits, wood burning kits, chemistry sets, erector sets, Lite Brite, Easy Bake Oven, candle making kits... probably all on the banned list now!

Ah, yes! I had a rock tumbler. I also remember having the junior erector set. I can't remember if I had lite brite, but I sure remember using one. and who can forget etch a sketch?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
And we always got a book of life savers! Two sides filled with all different flavors.

Ah! I remember those! It was the number one gift in the gift exchanges we would have at school. We used to pick the name of one classmate and bring a gift. But invariably someone would be left out because they had cooties or whatever... so that eventually stopped. Now the kids have to bring for everyone or no one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I didn't get presents many years, we were too many kids in the house ..no big deal, I loved to play house and I could do that even with a few rocks, ....I think kids were happier a few decades ago, now they have so much and still depend on grownups for entertainment ...it's very sad

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We usually got one special present, then stuff you need socks, undies, hand me downs from cousins. Family of 8 kids on a county employee salary.

B

Burd

I wish I still had my huffy sting ray bike, I'd restore it.
One day when my daughter was 4, we were leaving a friends house, there was a complete girls bike in the neighbors trash, the G'ma that lived there had no garage, the bike stayed out on the deck. My daughter saw it, we threw it in the back of the truck, I tore it down, fun project, my daughter polished all the chrome, where I worked, we had a paint dept, the foreman let her pick out a custom purple, he mixed up the paint, that week I bead blasted it at work, stripping it to bare metal, he shot it in the custom purple metallic paint, we assembled it on a pad in the garage, my daughter still talks how fun it was. Way more memories than buying one.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No ,they were brought up as quakers .They only holiday they really celebrated was the end of the growing season and that we were blessed with a good one .They always sad tools made you lazy and hard work makes your mind and body strong .Never really bothered me and I still loved my parents as they gave me a strong loving family .I to this day say they made me what I am .I told my father by the time I was 50 I was going to retire and not worry about anything and he knew that I would do it and I did just before my 50th birthday .I may not have ever been able to do it if it had not been for them .

Ask a Question