Submerged plants [oxygenators] -- do you anchor them....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My personal experience has been that the plant stems tend to rot under the lead, and float free. Cabomba is probably one of the worst for this. Also, hornwort does not put out roots, but tends to wrap around pots or other objects, and thus "anchors" itself.
John
I did wonder about the rotting issue as I've read that can happen.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I tied my plants with a rock. use the elastic or cooking string, work fine.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
It seems to be a combination of factors, tmann. Plants wrapped more tightly will rot faster than those that are fairly loose, densely packed-together plants will grow toward a light source, sacrificing their stems, and as I mentioned before, some plants seem to be more sensitive to the crowding than others. I worked in two pet shops in my 20's, where plants are placed rather densely in dedicated tanks, and most of the rot occurred while the plants were still packed tightly. As some sold, the remaining plants seemed to handle it better. Whether this is due to more space, more light, or just adjusting to the conditions is hard to say. Most 'bunch plants' back then came about 6 - 8 stems per bunch.
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, when my weights come, I'll try that method.

I "invented" a way to anchor my submerged grassy plants (like Jungle Val) that works for them, but not too much for the others. I cut 2 pieces of plastic canvas and/or a closed-mesh plastic fencing into circles (like maybe dinner plate size). Then I took a nice smooth, fairly flat rock (just heavy enough to act as a weight) and sandwiched that between the 2 pieces of canvas using PL goop as an adhesive to glue the rock to the canvas. After that dries, I more-or-less weave the plant stems and roots into the canvas to anchor them in place, then toss the whole thing in the water. As the plants grow, their roots grow into the canvas, and since it sits on the bottom of the pond, any debris down there acts as soil for them. These plants grow like CRAZY and never break off. Easy to pick up & move if you need to move them.

I've tried this with anacharis and a couple of others, but those plants either work their way out of the mesh, die, or get eaten, LOL! All I know is that when I pull the little things out, their are rarely any of these other plants left in the mesh.

image.jpg
image.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Great idea especially given my pond has crevices between stones. Have you had it sneak out into the pond?

Yes it creeps out over the water but I like when it does that. It never gets out of hand here and right now I don't even see any at all. Wondering if it is going to come back this year. I hope so!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes it creeps out over the water but I like when it does that. It never gets out of hand here and right now I don't even see any at all. Wondering if it is going to come back this year. I hope so!

Since I had a lot of renovation work to do over the winter, I pulled all the stuff that was stuck in the rocks. Surprisingly, sprigs of Parrots Feather survived just being in the water, AND I'm starting to see little puffs of PF among some rocks -- guessing I left some stem-pieces. There is even a 4-leaf clover sprig trying to find a place to anchor, and I really thought those were all gone. :)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You certainly go to great lengths, Turtlemommy! I don't think I'd have the patience.
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You certainly go to great lengths, Turtlemommy! I don't think I'd have the patience.
John
Actually, unlike many of my "projects," this was quite simple, AND it works. Hardest part was waiting for the PL goop to dry. And even weaving the plants into the mesh didn't take much time 'cause you only have to start with a couple of plants. I look at it [over all] and realize that it's easier doing this than having to deal with pots! Makes for a nice, lush carpet that you can put almost anywhere you want it to be in the pond.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I've been checking sites for planted tanks (indoor) and have found many references to something similar, pre-planted mats that you simply place on the bottom of the tank. Not too cheap, either!
John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've been checking sites for planted tanks (indoor) and have found many references to something similar, pre-planted mats that you simply place on the bottom of the tank. Not too cheap, either!
John
Mine are real cheap! Free, in fact, 'cause I already have the supplies lying around, LOL!

Ask a Question