Submerged, pond plants that are hardy in winter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Would you recommend any plants for oxygenation that are perennials and sustainable through winter months of cold temperatures and some ice and snow please? We have a 13,000 gallon pond in Appalachian Mountains of NC. Thanks in advance!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Would you recommend any plants for oxygenation that are perennials and sustainable through winter months of cold temperatures and some ice and snow please? We have a 13,000 gallon pond in Appalachian Mountains of NC. Thanks in advance!
Anacharis as long as you keep it under the freeze level by putting in pots or tubs on bottom of pond w/roots in soil. Fish might pull them up tho and like to nibble on them. It grows here in wild ponds and we can go out and pick them out for free. Might be in your area also in lakes or slow river/creek areas.
1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I stuck some anacharis in my lotus tub that survived winter here. Water continually circulates from my bog to the tub and the pond. Doesn't seem to interest the goldfish much though, I see them nibbling on algae most of the time.
Welcome.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My anacharis does really well. I’m in NW Louisiana, so our winters are mild, but water temps do still drop into the 40’s at the coldest. If your pond has any depth at all, it should do well.

Is your pond lined or natural?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Hornwort easily survives winter even on the lower shelves. at least in zone 7 where i am

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Both survive here , even in my freeze almost solid shallow water collection areas. The deck pond is shallow and it can freeze solid, no fish. The plants come back every spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Both survive here , even in my freeze almost solid shallow water collection areas. The deck pond is shallow and it can freeze solid, no fish. The plants come back every spring.
had added hornwort in november, pretty much winter at that point. did fine, much of it stayed green as well.

Ask a Question