Submerged ponds pumps placement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear seasoned ponders,
Although I'm now aware of the lack of temperature strata in my 23inch max depth pond, it doesn't stop me wondering,with a w, should I still raise up my submerged waterfall pump over winter to a height where it won't be in frozen water but would be say 10 inches off the bottom to allow the oxygen at that depth to decrease maybe sightly to give the less active fish ,a better chance to stay in a dormant state or is that no benefit and just a waste of time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear seasoned ponders,
Although I'm now aware of the lack of temperature strata in my 23inch max depth pond, it doesn't stop me wondering,with a w, should I still raise up my submerged waterfall pump over winter to a height where it won't be in frozen water but would be say 10 inches off the bottom to allow the oxygen at that depth to decrease maybe sightly to give the less active fish ,a better chance to stay in a dormant state or is that no benefit and just a waste of time. In other words will higher levels of oxygen in the water make the fish unnecessarily active, which might impact their fat/energy storage

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
With the shallow depth, there is no difference in water temps. I would keep it on the bottom but keep an eye on the waterfall if you keep it running.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With the shallow depth, there is no difference in water temps. I would keep it on the bottom but keep an eye on the waterfall if you keep it running.
Yeh, will do, should be interesting to see how it fairs with the - °c. I would think - 5°C or greater may start to cause issues. What bout the oxygen levels, just keep them up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Dear seasoned ponders,
Although I'm now aware of the lack of temperature strata in my 23inch max depth pond, it doesn't stop me wondering,with a w, should I still raise up my submerged waterfall pump over winter to a height where it won't be in frozen water but would be say 10 inches off the bottom to allow the oxygen at that depth to decrease maybe sightly to give the less active fish ,a better chance to stay in a dormant state or is that no benefit and just a waste of time
there's a whole lotta confusion going on here; you need at least 13' of depth (and even then it may not happen) before you get any sort of stratification. So, your temps will be similar from just under the ice to the bottom. If you're going to keep your pump running, that all by itself should guarantee it won't freeze up. Now, the water going TO the falls and ON the falls and FALLING from the falls may freeze up and possibly divert water out, so keep an eye on it.

Fish, while 'dormant' don't need oxygen like they do when active plus, cold water holds more O2 than warm water. IF you have any decaying biomass in the pond, the decay process will also take up O2 and release toxic gases that could hurt your fish, hence why you keep a hole open in the ice (if you get any).

Fish will go into dormancy temperature dependent, no matter if your pump is going or not. Unless you're using the waterfall for keeping a hole open, you can just turn off the pump (and leave it at the pond's bottom).

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My point was just about o2, knowing that there's no difference in temp from surface to the bottom, unless the depth is over 10 ft to 12ft, thanks for your help, at least I know now that having the fountain on as well will just be an extra annoyance for the fish, when they, or the pond won't need the o2

Ask a Question