submersable pump poll

submersable pump poll

• Total voters
Reaction score
I'm interested in the most efficient AC pumps available. Problem is I've gotta go by maufacturer's specs both for max GPH and watts.

Of course, nobody on this forum is running pumps with zero lift so I don't know how useful the manufacturer's data is even if it's accurate. It's pretty easy to figure out a theoretical gallons per watt - max GPH divided by the wattage rating.

Here are a few examples to get people going...

ECOPLUS 396
17 watt rating, 396 max gph, that means gallons per watt (GPW) is 23.3

ECOPLUS 633
35 watts, 633 max GPH, 18.1 GPW

LAGUNA MAX-FLO 600
32W, 600 GPH, 18.75 GPW

So the little ECOPLUS 396 is the most efficient of this small sampling.

What I'd really like to know is how efficient the pump is at 3 or 4 feet, which I'm guessing might be a ballpark real-world figure. In other words, how much lift to get the water into your DIY bio-filter...

Does wattage stay the same, regardless of lift? I would think not. Anybody know the answer??

Reaction score
I'm interested in the most efficient AC pumps available. Problem is I've gotta go by maufacturer's specs both for max GPH and watts.

Of course, nobody on this forum is running pumps with zero lift so I don't know how useful the manufacturer's data is even if it's accurate. It's pretty easy to figure out a theoretical gallons per watt - max GPH divided by the wattage rating.

Here are a few examples to get people going...

ECOPLUS 396
17 watt rating, 396 max gph, that means gallons per watt (GPW) is 23.3

ECOPLUS 633
35 watts, 633 max GPH, 18.1 GPW

LAGUNA MAX-FLO 600
32W, 600 GPH, 18.75 GPW

So the little ECOPLUS 396 is the most efficient of this small sampling.

What I'd really like to know is how efficient the pump is at 3 or 4 feet, which I'm guessing might be a ballpark real-world figure. In other words, how much lift to get the water into your DIY bio-filter...

Does wattage stay the same, regardless of lift? I would think not. Anybody know the answer??

Reaction score
I work at a power plant. I'm somewhat familiar with the basic principles of pumps and motors. Our most powerful pump is spun by a small turbine that borrows some steam from the main turbine to generate 14,000 HP at full crank.

What I meant was, does a pond pump use more energy at a higher lift, or does it use the same amount?

Reaction score
I work at a power plant. I'm somewhat familiar with the basic principles of pumps and motors. Our most powerful pump is spun by a small turbine that borrows some steam from the main turbine to generate 14,000 HP at full crank.

What I meant was, does a pond pump use more energy at a higher lift, or does it use the same amount?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Lift requires horsepower, horsepower requires KW. You don't get work without energy.

To get a higher lift, you need more energy. Therefore, more watts and a higher electric bill than if it had zero lift.

1: One mechanical horsepower of 550 foot-pounds per second is equivalent to 745.7 watts. (ie 1 Hp = 0.7457 kW)
2: A metric horsepower of 75 kgf-m per second is equivalent to 735.499 watts.
3: A boiler horsepower is used for rating steam boilers and is equivalent to 34.5 pounds of water evaporated per hour at 212 degrees Fahrenheit, or 9,809.5 watts.
4: One horsepower for rating electric motors is equal to 746 watts.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Lift requires horsepower, horsepower requires KW. You don't get work without energy.

To get a higher lift, you need more energy. Therefore, more watts and a higher electric bill than if it had zero lift.

1: One mechanical horsepower of 550 foot-pounds per second is equivalent to 745.7 watts. (ie 1 Hp = 0.7457 kW)
2: A metric horsepower of 75 kgf-m per second is equivalent to 735.499 watts.
3: A boiler horsepower is used for rating steam boilers and is equivalent to 34.5 pounds of water evaporated per hour at 212 degrees Fahrenheit, or 9,809.5 watts.
4: One horsepower for rating electric motors is equal to 746 watts.

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
I have a Laguna powermax 900 in my pond that is roughly 800-900 gallons. Have yet to experince any problems, in fact, it is powering my fountain head and water weir with no problems at all.

The pond has been up and running since end April.

The weir draws water through a Laguna underwater Biomax filter with the outtakes going to a fountain head and Laguna water weir.

Have a great day.

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
I have a Laguna powermax 900 in my pond that is roughly 800-900 gallons. Have yet to experince any problems, in fact, it is powering my fountain head and water weir with no problems at all.

The pond has been up and running since end April.

The weir draws water through a Laguna underwater Biomax filter with the outtakes going to a fountain head and Laguna water weir.

Have a great day.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The best way to get your info on current draw or watts is to set up a pump with an ampmeter in line, take a reading, then elevate the output to give it some head pressure and see the difference.
Pushing water though a line is not that much different that pushing your car. Do it on level ground, then push it up hill. Which requires more energy?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The best way to get your info on current draw or watts is to set up a pump with an ampmeter in line, take a reading, then elevate the output to give it some head pressure and see the difference.
Pushing water though a line is not that much different that pushing your car. Do it on level ground, then push it up hill. Which requires more energy?

Ask a Question