Telemarketing calls

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So an unknown number called me, from a local town. Ok, I answered, just in case it’s about work.
“This is your second warning that your auto warranty is about to expire...” so I stayed on the line to talk to someone. Lady answered, I asked her how I still have a warranty on a car almost as old as I am, she hung up. Stupid scammers! I don’t know if they’ll try calling me again or not, if they do, I may try to drag it out and get the company name, to report them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So much of that going on now that I never answer my phone unless I hear on the recording if it's someone I know or if I recognize their #. Most all the calls we get that our caller I.D shows the # I call that # back and it is a recording and says it is not a working #. Scam, scam and more scams! Then there is the spoofing #'s one where they use a real phone # of someone else and try to get you to pick up. On a few I have called that phone # back and the business will answer and we find out their # has been spoofed. One time the spoofer used the fire dept's # in another state! They appreciated me letting them know that someone was using their # to scam people with. Sheesh!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I get those and the credit card ones to lower my interest rate and yesterday I got a stupid call that wanted to help me because my debt and my home was in trouble of being foreclosed on and my cars were going to be picked up and there was a Sheriff coming to my house with a notice to vacate the premises but they needed my address ;):).Shame since I paid cash for my home and my cars .

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't answer my phones unless the caller id shows someone I know. If they want to talk to me, leave a message. A few spam callers will leave voicemail. They get added to the blocked call list. Lately its been local numbers with our area code and prefix, all spam. We even got a call and caller id showed our number!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So much of that going on now that I never answer my phone unless I hear on the recording if it's someone I know or if I recognize their #. Most all the calls we get that our caller I.D shows the # I call that # back and it is a recording and says it is not a working #. Scam, scam and more scams! Then there is the spoofing #'s one where they use a real phone # of someone else and try to get you to pick up. On a few I have called that phone # back and the business will answer and we find out their # has been spoofed. One time the spoofer used the fire dept's # in another state! They appreciated me letting them know that someone was using their # to scam people with. Sheesh!
Ditto! And my hubby’s office number was spoofed recently (a doctors office no less). I reported it to their business manager — I took screen shots of the caller ID. One thing she asked, “was the area code listed for the spoofed call?” No, it was identical.....except was the straight 7-digits without area code. Not sure what that means, but I now watch for calls that don’t list an area code.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It showed a local area code, and I’ve avoided answering except now I’m having to pay more attention cause of work. I’d love to report these jerks. They scam so many folks, and then move on to the next scam.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have caller ID but they use local numbers and no matter what they get past the call block .They just keep changing the number they call from and yes some leave messages also ,long long messages .I got the one from a NJ phone line and worried it could be something about my son .He drives a tow truck for the parkway and turnpike and the drivers there do not care

Reaction score
I know too many elderly parents of co-workers that have been scammed one way or the other out of a lot of money... so I really don't like these scammers.

I like to let them do their opening ... then ask a few random questions like I'm interested in what they are selling or whatever. Then I like to break out the good stuff. Sometimes, I like to ask them if when they were a kid, did they hope to grow up and be someone who scams people out of there money like a leach. Or I like to ask them in a friendly tone if they are married or have kids... if they do... I nicely ask when they go home... do they look them in their eyes with pride in what they do? Are their kids proud that they scam money from elderly people? Or I just tell them they can do better then what they are doing now... that they are worth more then being a leach.... and try to encourage them to find a new job that they can be proud of.

Their calling software generates random numbers or ones that mimic your own number to get you to pick up... so calling back is a waste.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We never answer unless we know the number, or they are on our contact list. If you want to reach us, leave a message.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm not so nice. My recent calls I have played along then I said you have a sexy voice and play it up in a big way. as they tried and tried to make the sale I kept them on the phone occasionally saying that sounds interesting let them go again then go back to the sexy voice what do you look like I bet long brunet. They finaly gave up and hung up them selves I can guarantee I was taken off their list to call back.

lol one guy said he was going to call the FAA on me for being offensive he barely spoke English I told him you call my personal phone you could get anything or anyone I felt like dishing out to them. I loved it the F.A.A. LOL still makes me lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I hate scammers, they rip of so many vulnerable people, so I don't answer the phone, not that I do anyway. I did have a number years ago that I thought I was getting pranked on by a bunch of kids. Turns out my phone was one digit off a help number for teens feeling suicidal. Very sad.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hate scammers, they rip of so many vulnerable people, so I don't answer the phone, not that I do anyway. I did have a number years ago that I thought I was getting pranked on by a bunch of kids. Turns out my phone was one digit off a help number for teens feeling suicidal. Very sad.
yikes ouch i'm so glad I never came across something like that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
I used to get the ones asking for a survey and if it is a convenient time. I tell them I work shift work and there call woke me up and then ask them for their home # and I will call at 2 am when I am awake. Funny none have ever given me their number to call back.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Damg parrots I was building a second story addition many years ago and while we were working up stairs every now and then i'd hear someone down stairs when there was no one home. i'd rush down to find no one in the house. long story short they placed the parrot in a walk in closet during the day while we were there so as to not stress the bird out and hope he'd sleep, well when the kids walked by the hose the bird would hear them and start squawking thus getting me scrambling thinking some kid was in the house who didn't belong there as this was in the city and god only knows what the trouble would do. it's amazing what they pick up and use correctly.

that's TOOOO FUNNY I CAN SEE IT NOW THE PERSON ON THE OTHER END WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND could you speak slower

Last edited:

Ask a Question