Temporary koi home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've kept koi for 15 yrs and as you can imagine they are not the size they used to be, I now need to make the pond bigger, what is the best way to accommodate the fish whilst I construct a new one, tacking into account there are 18 koi ranging from 22 to 27 inches, I look forward to your comments ☺

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
This may not be an option since you're asking this question...
But is it possible to leave the old pond until the new one is built? It's a great option to use the old pond water to help seed the new pond water.

Or you can use kiddie pools (using the old pond water) to temporarily house your koi, but that's a lot of big koi for shallow kiddie pools. You would have to add aeration and nets to keep them in.

Here's an idea...keep the old pond for the time being. Build the new one right up next to the old one. Once the new water is stabilized, transfer the fish to the new one and turn the old one into a bog filter. Bogs are the best filters by far.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you can't do what @poconojoe suggested it might be worth it to invest in a much bigger swim pool. They do make cheaper ones than the really fancy kind or even find a used one. Use all the old pond water that you can when making the transfer and a good filter and aeration. My friend up the road has done it this way when she had to make repairs to her bottom drain in her pond and she has a bunch of huge koi.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I saw yesterday that Walmart was selling off the 12'x30" Intex pool for under $100. That's 2000 gallons. Maybe you can find a good price on one since the pool season is coming to a close.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
do you have a sketch of your current pond and the proposed new one? That would give us a better idea of how it fits together and possible ways to transition from one to the other. For example if your current pond has a liner and additional liner can be bonded to it and then you can dig the extension pond near the existing one and then "breakthrough" the dirt in between at the end. But a sketch or photos would help us come up with ideas. I have 12 fairly big Koi and I would hate to put them in some temporary pool for a while. But my guess is you have many options!

Ask a Question