Texas Heat

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
First post. Just relocated to Texas, south of Dallas. Build a 1,200 gal pond (12LX4WX3.5'D). I would like to add Koi or some kind of fish but concerned about summer heat.

Currently have a 1200 gph pump, Little Giant skimmer, 16" waterfall with bio and mech filtration, Pond Guy aerator. Adding plants for 40-60% surface coverage.

Suggestions on fish (good idea, bad idea) are much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My pond was 1700 gallons, so not too much larger than yours. I had four koi and had them for over twenty years before finding them a good new home. I worked pretty hard on filtration as they grew, having a 55 gallon sand and gravel filter, large Savio skimmer with filter pads, large water fall, aerators and at one time a bog and shower filter.

I loved my koi (and cried when they left), which is why I finally found them a home with a much bigger pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow. Had no idea they could live that long. And given our care of wildlife I would not want to put them in an environment where they would suffer. i.e. the heat.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome22bug.gif
@CecilBay bay
Shubunkin goldfish look kinda like small koi. Love them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks! They are interesting. It's the top heat range of some of these fish that concern me. Even though I'm 4 feet deep at the waterfall, I don't yet know what to expect for the low water temp in 100F heat. I will be working on how best to shade at least 1/2 of the pond, keeping the right exposure for plants needing full sun, whether by solar shade, or by foliage.

Still working on landscaping, pond plants, etc. Have poppy, snowflake, and mosaic floaters on order. Also a lotus.

Attachments

• Pond1.jpg
    Pond1.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Pond2.jpg
    Pond2.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 10

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a pond in AZ Phoenix, it was around 4-5 feet deep . Had a rock stack waterfall to help cool the water. Highest water temperature was 87.

Goldfish and shubunkins

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello form NWLA. With our climate [summer heat] depth is going to be your best friend. The deeper the better (but don’t sacrifice depth for surface area — surface area is important for gas exchange). Especially in a smaller pond, the water is going to heat up more quickly — shade and water movement will be important!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have shade cloth over my entire pond. All the plants do well, even the ones that require full sun. Sun does hit the pond in the early morning and in late afternoon, coming in under the cloth since it covers a frame over the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
At times when the heat is really hot you could put that shade cloth over your pond and take it off when it cools. Get a good water temp gauge! I like the frame up higher idea that @WaterGardener uses. Could even have option of side shades where you could raise and lower when needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Great suggestions and all are appreciated. I do have a temp gage and it drops to the bottom of the pond since that's what I really need to see.

What do y'all think about sand or "ground cover" on the bottom of the pond? Currently it's only 45mil epdm rubber. We had a local pond person say we should leave it bare, or we'll promote more water contamination.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What do y'all think about sand or "ground cover" on the bottom of the pond? Currently it's only 45mil epdm rubber. We had a local pond person say we should leave it bare, or we'll promote more water contamination.
Opinions are divided about “ground cover” on pond bottom. Some use gravel….with no problems at all. Some don’t use anything. If using a substrate, I think the main things to consider are the size of the particles and how deep you have it. Your pond liner is going to be covered with algae and a biofilm — essential for the pond’s health. If you’re looking to “disguise” the liner….you’re not going to see the liner.

As far as monitoring pond water temperature, the typical backyard pond isn’t going to be deep enough to have “thermoclines,” but deeper is still better (summer heat). I have experimented with deep and surface temp readings (mainly in winter, though my water doesn’t freeze), and at 3’, there wasn’t a significant temp. difference. But YES, a thermometer will be an essential piece of equipment for you to have!

Ask a Question