Hi there from Texas!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a/b
Country
United States
We built my first pond this May. Well, my son hand dug out a pond for me. We had a few adventures along the way, including finding an old covered dry well next to the placement of our pond (that was converted into a trashcan filter/skimmer that is still being tweaked), a waterfall that leaks water (being rebuilt again) and now adding an above-ground bog filter.

I have kept aquariums off and on all of my life, currently have 2 55 gal aquariums in the house plus a 29 gal in my office (in addition to the ones my grown sons have) so it seemed natural to build a 725 gal pond next. ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a/b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! We’d love to see pics if you haven’t already posted them elsewhere.

What part of TX?

Central Texas near Waco

Here is a couple of pictures of the pond as in progress. Someone heard that we were building a pond and they decided they wanted us to take their goldfish. I wasn't planning on having so many so soon but it happens. We are building a bog filter (this week once it stops raining) and have some elephant ears and a banana tree sitting in gravel pots in the pond. We have a canopy over the pond now to help reduce the algae growth and hoping the bog will help with that as well.

Attachments

• pond in progress 1.jpg
    pond in progress 1.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 100
  • pond in progress 2.jpg
    pond in progress 2.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 83
  • WIN_20190204_16_12_35_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20190204_16_12_35_Pro.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 76

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!
The bog will help with the algae once it gets going.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've been through Waco many times, used to live in a small town out that way. God I miss the apricots!
Just like with a new aquarium, it takes time for the pond to be able to handle the fish load, so the algea is actually helping untill enough bacteria and the bog can remove fish waste. Welcome!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a/b
Country
United States
I've been through Waco many times, used to live in a small town out that way. God I miss the apricots!
Just like with a new aquarium, it takes time for the pond to be able to handle the fish load, so the algea is actually helping untill enough bacteria and the bog can remove fish waste. Welcome!

I actually seeded the pond with used filter material from one of our aquariums for the bacteria to get a headstart, I try to always run extra media to seed a tank in a hurry. Having aquariums (and a son who works in aquatics at the local Petco) definitely helped with some of the learning curve.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I actually seeded the pond with used filter material from one of our aquariums for the bacteria to get a headstart, I try to always run extra media to seed a tank in a hurry. Having aquariums (and a son who works in aquatics at the local Petco) definitely helped with some of the learning curve.
Most of what works, is simply based on science and common sense. I have learned so much since having a pond, but the biggest lessons are patience and looking at what Mother Nature provides. Well, I also learned that ponds in Louisiana don’t freeze, and we can keep our filters going year-round, but that’s a different story, LOL!

L

Lin

We built my first pond this May. Well, my son hand dug out a pond for me. We had a few adventures along the way, including finding an old covered dry well next to the placement of our pond (that was converted into a trashcan filter/skimmer that is still being tweaked), a waterfall that leaks water (being rebuilt again) and now adding an above-ground bog filter.

I have kept aquariums off and on all of my life, currently have 2 55 gal aquariums in the house plus a 29 gal in my office (in addition to the ones my grown sons have) so it seemed natural to build a 725 gal pond next. ;)
Welcome ! I like what you did so far. Keep pics coming of your progress.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Welcome!

I'm so glad you are going the bog filtration route right at the start of your pond build. Now I don't need to to give my pro bog speech!

Once your bog is up and running, that water will start to clear within days.

Building the bog means your not wasting money on inadequate store bought filters that need constant maintenance.

If you need any bog building tips, just ask.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Welcome!

I'm so glad you are going the bog filtration route right at the start of your pond build. Now I don't need to to give my pro bog speech!

Once your bog is up and running, that water will start to clear within days.

Building the bog means your not wasting money on inadequate store bought filters that need constant maintenance.

If you need any bog building tips, just ask.
Um hey, so I have a large algae problem in my pond and just got a UV sterilizer, is there anything harmful about this, and also compared to the cost of a 100 dollar up sterlizer plus a second pump to run it, how much would this cost for a 600 gallon pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a/b
Country
United States
Um hey, so I have a large algae problem in my pond and just got a UV sterilizer, is there anything harmful about this, and also compared to the cost of a 100 dollar up sterlizer plus a second pump to run it, how much would this cost for a 600 gallon pond?

I know others with actual experience will answer but there are several reasons I did not go with UV. One, they break and have to be replaced. But the bigger reason is I have read that the sterilization does not discriminate between algae and healthy bacteria in your water. Most people who run UV turn it off and on to preserve the length of time the bulb runs. Bog is way more efficient.

The costs will vary with how you set yours up. We decided not to dig out for our bog. It will be above ground next to the pond, with a waterfall into the pond. The costs have been for the brick($50), the liner($50), the gravel (yet to be determined), the pump ($100), the PVC pipes and fittings ($20ish) and plants (TBD). I'm estimating my bog will cost me around $300-400 but then I don't expect to pay much in the future. I'm also very excited for the aesthetics of having the bog filter which will be by my patio and right outside a window where I can enjoy the pretty plants.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I know others with actual experience will answer but there are several reasons I did not go with UV. One, they break and have to be replaced. But the bigger reason is I have read that the sterilization does not discriminate between algae and healthy bacteria in your water. Most people who run UV turn it off and on to preserve the length of time the bulb runs. Bog is way more efficient.

The costs will vary with how you set yours up. We decided not to dig out for our bog. It will be above ground next to the pond, with a waterfall into the pond. The costs have been for the brick($50), the liner($50), the gravel (yet to be determined), the pump ($100), the PVC pipes and fittings ($20ish) and plants (TBD). I'm estimating my bog will cost me around $300-400 but then I don't expect to pay much in the future. I'm also very excited for the aesthetics of having the bog filter which will be by my patio and right outside a window where I can enjoy the pretty plants.
awsome! sounds like a great project for me in the futuer because right now I am pretty budject tight, but the maintence and breaking thing does seem like a large factor because after only a few months of my past serilizer it broke, thanks for the advice!

Ask a Question