Thick stringy bit from goldfish’s mouth

Discussion in 'Illness and Disease' started by Lidwien, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Lidwien

Lidwien

It’s a particular greedy fish indeed, so perhaps that may have been the case. Especially seen the thing was not alive (?anymore). It also seems out of proportion to what an intestinal worm for that size fish would grow to. I think the fish would have looked unwell, or with a huge belly beforehand if that was the case.
    So I’ll see if anyone else knows. But I’m already less worried now, as the fish is still an example of healthy bliss and nobody else in the pond is sick.
    Thanks!

Lidwien, Feb 11, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. Lidwien

Dave 54

@Lidwien if this was an intestinal tape worm then its lost Mate :wtf: if a tape worm did indeed pop out into the world it would pass out through the vent end , I know you guys live life down under but :poop: comes out the same end as the tape worm (and that's if it chooses to show itself at all)...Why... as many cases don't come to light until you do an Autopsy.
    Do you have any creepy crawlies with the patterning we've seen in your photo's on them , that may perhaps have fallen into your pond and drowned before your goldfish started making a meal of it ?

Dave 54

Dave 54, Feb 11, 2018
    1. Advertisements

3. Lidwien

Lidwien

It could very well have been something that fell into the pond. Come to think of it, maybe even a normal earthworm, discoloured by the length of time in the water and having been half eaten.....
    The stripes could very well be the segments you see on a normal worm.
    I suggested an autopsy, but the fish declined. He rather waits :). And he doesn’t look like he’s going there soon .

Lidwien, Feb 11, 2018
    cas likes this.
  4. Lidwien

Dave 54

I don't blame the goldfish for not wanting an autopsy just yet mate :arghh: wow just look at him swim across the pond as fast as his fin's can go :bigtears:.
    Earthworms in the UK normally come out the other end of my koi like a ver thin and rainbow coloured skin so either your Tasmanian earthworms are tough buggers to eat or like those Aussie earthworms Huge :arghh::jawdrop:

Dave 54

Dave 54, Feb 11, 2018
  5. Lidwien

Lidwien

Oh yes, they do come out the other end here in Tasmania too.... but it may be a worm that got stuck during the ingestion phase. Perhaps our earthworms are tougher to swallow than the possibly more dainty Brittish versions. Either that, or my fish needs to harden up! But it looks like the event has passed, even if the ‘worm’ did not. I will let you know if/when I have a positive identification :)

Lidwien, Feb 11, 2018
  6. Lidwien

Faebinder

That looks like a slug. They fall in my pond sometimes and the fish ignore them. I guess yours wanted a snack. they usually are too big for the goldfish to eat... it wont stop big koi.

Here is a picture.

Faebinder, Feb 12, 2018
  7. Lidwien

Lidwien

I’ll investigate the slug hypothesis. Hadn’t thought of that as yet. There’s plenty of them around here. Certainly not impossible, although the striatikns appear to be absent on slugs.

Lidwien, Feb 12, 2018
  8. Lidwien

sissy sissy

My koi sucked all my snails right out of their shells .Shells but no one is home anymore ;)

sissy, Feb 12, 2018
    Dave 54 and Lidwien like this.
  9. Lidwien

Lidwien

:(

Lidwien, Feb 12, 2018
  10. Lidwien

sissy sissy

I wish I had known the koi would do that ,I would never have added trapdoor snails

sissy, Feb 13, 2018
  11. Lidwien

Dave 54

@sissy I remember when we kept ours indoors we use to buy and add rams horn snails on a weekly basis thinking they all kept dying:dead::dead::confused:
    That was until one day I saw exactly happening what you have describedo_O:hungry::hungry: .
    It turned out to be an expensive mistake up till then but is one that we've never repeated :whistle:

Dave

Dave 54, Feb 13, 2018
    Lidwien and sissy like this.
  12. Lidwien

sissy sissy

I put my snails in the waterfall pond and once they got into the pond with the koi they were gone .Only houses left .Aggie does the same to frogs .She sucks the innards out and spits the outsides back out ,I get the joy of taking the left overs out with the pool net

sissy, Feb 13, 2018
    Dave 54 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question