Thick stringy bit from goldfish’s mouth

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Dave
I wouldn’t know how to put it on the net generally, but I’ll see if I can send it to an expert fish shop. Because if it is a parasite, they’ll all need treatment.
Cheers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave
I wouldn’t know how to put it on the net generally, but I’ll see if I can send it to an expert fish shop. Because if it is a parasite, they’ll all need treatment.
Cheers
That's a good idea mate as I'm not up on any parasites that hail from Tasmania and its like nothing I've seen before .
If i was a tape worm it would be coming out of the vent end of your goldfish and not the mouth , so Ithink its something it may have picked up in the pond and decided to snack upon i;e the greedy goldfish syndrome

Dave 54

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Could it be part of a frog as my Aggie (koi) loves frogs and sometimes when I catch her with one I will find a part still sticking out of her mouth .Especially the frogs legs .She sucks the insides out and then will eventually spit the rest out and I get the pleasure of scooping it out of the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Could it be part of a frog as my Aggie (koi) loves frogs and sometimes when I catch her with one I will find a part still sticking out of her mouth .Especially the frogs legs .She sucks the insides out and then will eventually spit the rest out and I get the pleasure of scooping it out of the pond
Thinking about it sissy I would say that there is a pattern that can be seen in the photos @Lidwien posted during the thread I wonder if he can think of anything in Tasmania that has those pattern's

Dave 54

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Sissy
Unfortunately I don’t have frogs in my pond, Perhaps for that reason, as I have tried to make it attractive for them in every other way. But it also doesn’t look like a frog bit. Worth the thought though, thanks!

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It’s a particular greedy fish indeed, so perhaps that may have been the case. Especially seen the thing was not alive (?anymore). It also seems out of proportion to what an intestinal worm for that size fish would grow to. I think the fish would have looked unwell, or with a huge belly beforehand if that was the case.
So I’ll see if anyone else knows. But I’m already less worried now, as the fish is still an example of healthy bliss and nobody else in the pond is sick.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It’s a particular greedy fish indeed, so perhaps that may have been the case. Especially seen the thing was not alive (?anymore). It also seems out of proportion to what an intestinal worm for that size fish would grow to. I think the fish would have looked unwell, or with a huge belly beforehand if that was the case.
So I’ll see if anyone else knows. But I’m already less worried now, as the fish is still an example of healthy bliss and nobody else in the pond is sick.
Thanks!
@Lidwien if this was an intestinal tape worm then its lost Mate :wtf: if a tape worm did indeed pop out into the world it would pass out through the vent end , I know you guys live life down under but :poop: comes out the same end as the tape worm (and that's if it chooses to show itself at all)...Why... as many cases don't come to light until you do an Autopsy.
Do you have any creepy crawlies with the patterning we've seen in your photo's on them , that may perhaps have fallen into your pond and drowned before your goldfish started making a meal of it ?

Dave 54

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It could very well have been something that fell into the pond. Come to think of it, maybe even a normal earthworm, discoloured by the length of time in the water and having been half eaten.....
The stripes could very well be the segments you see on a normal worm.
I suggested an autopsy, but the fish declined. He rather waits :). And he doesn’t look like he’s going there soon .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It could very well have been something that fell into the pond. Come to think of it, maybe even a normal earthworm, discoloured by the length of time in the water and having been half eaten.....
The stripes could very well be the segments you see on a normal worm.
I suggested an autopsy, but the fish declined. He rather waits :). And he doesn’t look like he’s going there soon .
I don't blame the goldfish for not wanting an autopsy just yet mate :arghh: wow just look at him swim across the pond as fast as his fin's can go :bigtears:.
Earthworms in the UK normally come out the other end of my koi like a ver thin and rainbow coloured skin so either your Tasmanian earthworms are tough buggers to eat or like those Aussie earthworms Huge :arghh::jawdrop:

Dave 54

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Oh yes, they do come out the other end here in Tasmania too.... but it may be a worm that got stuck during the ingestion phase. Perhaps our earthworms are tougher to swallow than the possibly more dainty Brittish versions. Either that, or my fish needs to harden up! But it looks like the event has passed, even if the ‘worm’ did not. I will let you know if/when I have a positive identification :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
That looks like a slug. They fall in my pond sometimes and the fish ignore them. I guess yours wanted a snack. they usually are too big for the goldfish to eat... it wont stop big koi.

Here is a picture.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I’ll investigate the slug hypothesis. Hadn’t thought of that as yet. There’s plenty of them around here. Certainly not impossible, although the striatikns appear to be absent on slugs.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wish I had known the koi would do that ,I would never have added trapdoor snails

Ask a Question