Is this DUCK WEED? - also thick fine green stuff

Reaction score
:grumble: Hi

I'm from England (in the south).

I have got green algae, which is getting worse.

I think it might be called Duck Weed.

Although it might be the stuff that my filter is supposed to pick up.

This is what I'm using;

Hozelock Ecoclear Bioforce UVC pressurised filter
and a 500 Titan solids handling pump.

I also have a Blagdon Blanket Weed Killer (electronic).

The algae seems to be minute particles that are clumping together.

What is best 'long term' solution to this problem.

Can I also add this;

the walls and bottom of the pond (made out of rigid plastic) are thick with this algae - so much so, that when the fish move swiftly to feed etc, the water clouds up with this green stuff.

Last year I drained the whole pond, got down there and scrapped all the walls, shelf section and floor.

It has come back with a vengeance.

Many thanks.

Stephen

Reaction score
Duckweed is a tiny plant the floats on the surface, It has tiny leaves and one root that hangs in the water they do not clump or grow on the liner under the water. Sounds more like green algae to me. It is unsightly but a normal thing in a pond it can be controlled with algaefix or greenclean , If you are in a warmer climate there are algae eating fish that help control it. Draining the pond is not the best practice for controling algae. Some pics would help us to help you.

Reaction score
c2c7390 said:
does it float???
Yes it floats BUT on the shelves of the pond (where you would place plants) it is thick, and as I said, when there is movement the pond becomes very cloudy, and it seems the stuff that floats looks like the stuff that is on the shelves and floor of the pond.

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
doesnt sound like duckweed to me.. Duck weed wouldn't cause clouding.. when you see duckweed, it looks like lots of tiny perfect little LEAVES floating on the top surface of your pond..

Here is a good picture to give you an idea of the size
http://www.mobot.org/jwcross/duckweed/graphics/frog_in_duckweed.gif

it does not look like clumps of anything.

sounds like green spot algae or maybe blue green
READ HERE

what color.. can you get a picture

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
duck weed is individual plants no bigger than a 1/4 wide a 1/6" thick with the exception of two little hair roots that hang down while they can create what looks like a thick mat if you try to pick it up it's tiny individual pieces

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
duck weed is individual plants no bigger than a 1/4 wide a 1/6" thick with the exception of two little hair roots that hang down while they can create what looks like a thick mat if you try to pick it up it's tiny individual pieces
This is a 10 y/o thread, but thank you for the description! Maybe our newer ponders don’t know what it is.

Ask a Question