Thousands of little bugs on lillies

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by toups, Jul 28, 2017.

1. toups

toups

Anyone know what these are? Do they do anything bad?

Attached Files:

toups, Jul 28, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. toups

Lisak1

Wow! That IS a lot of bugs! I would try knocking them off with a sharp spray from the hose and let the fish eat them.

Lisak1, Jul 28, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. toups

MoonShadows The Jam Man

MoonShadows, Jul 28, 2017
  4. toups

toups

I sprayed them but they float! The eventually all swam back onto lillies. My koi don't really seem to care for them. I have some mosquito fish on the way that I'm putting in, maybe they'll eat them up.

They don't seem to be killing the plants (yet?) as they're all still green, there's just tons of these suckers.

toups, Jul 28, 2017
  5. toups

Tula

I think they're some type of an aphid. Darn, that the fish don't want to eat them :( I recently read about using an insecticidal soap spray, but personally I'd be hesitant to use it near my pond.....I'd probably keep spraying them with the hose.

Tula, Jul 28, 2017
    Meyer Jordan likes this.
  6. toups

Jhn

Agree, with them being aphids. Besides spraying them off, for the fish to eat, I have removed the yellowing lily pads as the aphids tend to congregate on the pads that are dying back. I end up removing some of the healthy pads as well, if they are heavily infested.

Also, could try rinsing healthy pads off into a deep plastic bag of some sort and throw bag away. Just need to do it quickly.

Jhn, Jul 28, 2017
  7. toups

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Looks like a recently hatched brood of some type of beetle.

Meyer Jordan, Jul 28, 2017
  8. toups

DutchMuch Lord Of The Aquascapes!

They are called water aphids, slightly different than aphids, they thrive in water or moist conditions.
    [​IMG]

"Rhopalosiphum nymphaeae
    Water lily aphid, Reddish-brown plum aphid"
    "Large colonies may develop on water lilies, the aphids congregating along the leaf veins and invading the flowers. The rate of development, natality and survivorship rates of Rhopalosiphum nymphaeae has been studied in relation to its potential for virus transmission both to crops and aquatic weeds (Ballou et al., 1986 [​IMG]). The optimal temperatures for Rhopalosiphum nymphaeae were 21 to 27 °C. Hance et al. (1994) [​IMG] established the life and fertility table on Azolla, an agronomically important aquatic fern used as green manure and fodder. They computed the intrinsic rate of increase which indicated a theoretical doubling in population size every 2.2 days. The various different nymphal instars are shown in the picture below."

(http://influentialpoints.com/Gallery/Rhopalosiphum_nymphaeae_water_lily_aphid.htm)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    DutchMuch, Jul 29, 2017
    Meyer Jordan likes this.
  9. toups

adavisus

Where lilypads are over grown, sticking out of the water and become infested with aphids you notice sticky messy secretions accumulate on the foliage surfaces. Fungus can rip through and destroy the lot, all the lilypads and jeopardise the pond by dumping too much decomp at the same time

Knocking back aphids is better done sooner than later. You tend not to see the problem on 'natural' ponds where there is a resident horde of aphid eating spidies, beetles, pondskaters, whirligigs

adavisus, Jul 29, 2017
    Meyer Jordan likes this.
  10. toups

DutchMuch Lord Of The Aquascapes!

And from experience, no these aphids are not eaten by fish.

Or at least not my old fish.

DutchMuch, Jul 29, 2017
  11. toups

toups

I've been cutting back any yellowing/really infested lillies and hosing them off and scooping the masses out, it's definitely getting better but not clear yet.

toups, Aug 1, 2017
  12. toups

toups

Update: pretty much all clear now!
    If anyone has these a good method I found was remove any dying lillies (yellowing/browning), wait (if possible) until there's a good rain coming, hose them off really well when it starts raining, the rain will keep them off and drown them.

toups, Aug 8, 2017
  13. toups

heyatx

I agree, they're aphids. Spraying them into the filter works well, also ladybugs. Ladybugs love to eat aphids!!

heyatx, Aug 10, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question