Thousands of little bugs on lillies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Anyone know what these are? Do they do anything bad?

Attachments

• IMG_20170728_162237.jpg
    IMG_20170728_162237.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 685
  • IMG_20170728_162637.jpg
    IMG_20170728_162637.jpg
    326.5 KB · Views: 954
  • IMG_20170728_162227.jpg
    IMG_20170728_162227.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 1,158
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Wow! That IS a lot of bugs! I would try knocking them off with a sharp spray from the hose and let the fish eat them.
I sprayed them but they float! The eventually all swam back onto lillies. My koi don't really seem to care for them. I have some mosquito fish on the way that I'm putting in, maybe they'll eat them up.

They don't seem to be killing the plants (yet?) as they're all still green, there's just tons of these suckers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think they're some type of an aphid. Darn, that the fish don't want to eat them :( I recently read about using an insecticidal soap spray, but personally I'd be hesitant to use it near my pond.....I'd probably keep spraying them with the hose.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree, with them being aphids. Besides spraying them off, for the fish to eat, I have removed the yellowing lily pads as the aphids tend to congregate on the pads that are dying back. I end up removing some of the healthy pads as well, if they are heavily infested.

Also, could try rinsing healthy pads off into a deep plastic bag of some sort and throw bag away. Just need to do it quickly.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They are called water aphids, slightly different than aphids, they thrive in water or moist conditions.

"Rhopalosiphum nymphaeae
Water lily aphid, Reddish-brown plum aphid"
"Large colonies may develop on water lilies, the aphids congregating along the leaf veins and invading the flowers. The rate of development, natality and survivorship rates of Rhopalosiphum nymphaeae has been studied in relation to its potential for virus transmission both to crops and aquatic weeds (Ballou et al., 1986 ). The optimal temperatures for Rhopalosiphum nymphaeae were 21 to 27 °C. Hance et al. (1994) established the life and fertility table on Azolla, an agronomically important aquatic fern used as green manure and fodder. They computed the intrinsic rate of increase which indicated a theoretical doubling in population size every 2.2 days. The various different nymphal instars are shown in the picture below."

(http://influentialpoints.com/Gallery/Rhopalosiphum_nymphaeae_water_lily_aphid.htm)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Where lilypads are over grown, sticking out of the water and become infested with aphids you notice sticky messy secretions accumulate on the foliage surfaces. Fungus can rip through and destroy the lot, all the lilypads and jeopardise the pond by dumping too much decomp at the same time

Knocking back aphids is better done sooner than later. You tend not to see the problem on 'natural' ponds where there is a resident horde of aphid eating spidies, beetles, pondskaters, whirligigs

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
And from experience, no these aphids are not eaten by fish.

Or at least not my old fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I've been cutting back any yellowing/really infested lillies and hosing them off and scooping the masses out, it's definitely getting better but not clear yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Update: pretty much all clear now!
If anyone has these a good method I found was remove any dying lillies (yellowing/browning), wait (if possible) until there's a good rain coming, hose them off really well when it starts raining, the rain will keep them off and drown them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree, they're aphids. Spraying them into the filter works well, also ladybugs. Ladybugs love to eat aphids!!

Ask a Question