To Build a Pond or not?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and new to ponds. I have recently been looking into building a koi pond in my backyard and I don't have a clue where to start! I am currently debating on whether or not to build a underground pond just in an open area of the yard, or build an above ground pond. I want to see everyone's opinion about which may be easiest and the longest lasting. I also live in Eastern Virginia. The temp. rarely gets below thirty during the winter and I have plenty of space and sunlight in the yard. Just making sure these conditions would be okay to build.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes I was maybe thinking combining both and have a both partially underground and above ground pond. I have been seeing that a water drain in the pond is almost essential to clear and perfect pond water. Do most of you members have a drain in your pond's?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes I was maybe thinking combining both and have a both partially underground and above ground pond. I have been seeing that a water drain in the pond is almost essential to clear and perfect pond water. Do most of you members have a drain in your pond's?

Nope. Nor in any that I install. Never a problem with water clarity or quality.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have been seeing that a water drain in the pond is almost essential to clear and perfect pond water. Do most of you members have a drain in your pond's?

I don't have a drain, but I do have crystal clear water. I use a bog as a filter, and I believe that has everything to do with my clarity. My water quality was good last I checked, too.

Above ground, or partially above ground ponds may be easier in the sense that you don't have to bend down. Easier to reach in and do whatever you need to do, and many are built with the outer wall being a bench so you can sit sit there and look in, but I personally prefer a more natural looking pond. In-ground ponds will be best at attracting frogs and toads. I also believe it give you more options for gardening around it and blending the pond in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! No bottom drain here either. Just a bog filter and a crystal clear pond. A dedicated koi pond will have a bottom drain - a garden or "Eco-system" pond more likely will not.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No bottom drain here, just a bog keeping it nice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't have a bottom drain in my in ground pond. I wish I had room for a bog, but rely on other filtration and my water clarity is good too! I have four koi :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Travis I'm a UK koi keeper and our pond is above ground to a height where you can just rest your elbows on the edge of the pond and crook your head in your hands to gaze at these stunning fish whilst leaning against it .
However I will warn you now a bottom or bottom drains would be a very good way forwards plus a good size filter and you wont go wrong "bottom drains where invented for koi".

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome.

I would say a good place to start is to take a length of rope or garden hose and lay out a shape on the ground for what you think you may like.
Let your imagination go from there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Travis. Good luck if you decide to build a pond but..........there is no such thing as clear and perfect water! The first year you will probably have a lot of algae which is perfectly fine for your fish but may not look pretty to you. it can take a whole season for it to properly cycle when the beneficial bacteria are competing with algae for food. My suggestion would be to try a few goldfish for the first year and take it from there. With koi there will be more work and knowledge required which you will develop over time. I just have goldfish which is plenty challenging for me!

Ask a Question