top of our RV residents

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yellow jackets is the name given to a member of the wasp family. In Europe yellow jackets are referred to as just wasps, so as @addy1 said they are related to each other, both been in the yellow jacket (wasp) family, but they are not technically the same.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Direct from Wikipedia:

Yellowjacket
or Yellow jacket is the common name in North America for predatory social wasps of the generaVespula and Dolichovespula. Members of these genera are known simply as "wasps" in other English-speaking countries. Most of these are black and yellow like the eastern yellowjacket Vespula maculifrons and the aerial yellowjacket Dolichovespula arenaria; some are black and white like the bald-faced hornet, Dolichovespula maculata.
They are both wasps, related to each other but not technically the same e.g. a domestic rabbit from the pet store and a cotton tail rabbit , both in the rabbit family cannot breed with each other because technically they are not the same. This is the case for a lot of related animals, and also insects. The names Dolichovespula arenaria, and Dolichovespula maculata, vespula maculifrons, tells us they are related but not technically the same.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well technically they both sting and it HURTS, so far we are leaving them be. Yellow jackets are starting to show up, I want them to prey on them and eat them up. We will delete if they become a issue, with our bee suits on!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well technically they both sting and it HURTS, so far we are leaving them be. Yellow jackets are starting to show up, I want them to prey on them and eat them up. We will delete if they become a issue, with our bee suits on!
Very true . My neighbour lent me a suit she had from years ago that was stored in her basement. Went out at night time, as a huge nest was in a hole covered by vinca. They stung my youngest. My son kept the back door open, so I could run back in after covering the nest. Of course I fell on the way back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Hahaha. Sounds like me running from them in the woods. Amazing how their buzz makes you run like you lost your mind. Like feet don’t fail me now for real.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hahaha. Sounds like me running from them in the woods. Amazing how their buzz makes you run like you lost your mind. Like feet don’t fail me now for real.
Oh the best laid plans, yeah right. I knew the suit had gaps,and holes. The thing is I left the yard light off, so your right you hear them, and off you go, or in my case flat on my face. My son shut the door, so I ran off around the far side of the yard only to find the gate locked. Sad thing here is, my kids were in the window laughing, even though they said they were worried.

Ask a Question