Tragedies

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ahh Spring is here. Lives everywhere and my lawn grown too quick.

Past weekend I had to finally mow the lawn and after I finished I found something pretty curious in the pond. I looked and prods, it's half the green frog head :cry: I mowed him right to pieces :cry: SOOOOO SAD!!!!!!!!!!

I also try to breed my watonai, and this year I've got a few fry already! I kept them in my inside tank (hanging in their own netted basket). The first batch (I only got 3 of them) are about 2 months old and as big as other tropical fish's babies in the tank... so I thought they would be safe... once I put the fry in the main tank they were pack to death by the mollies and tetras who're not even so big and couldn't even fit the fry in their mouth!!! It was so quick and all died before I could rescue them :cry:
I've been given a false hope that my tropical fish wont eat the fry because they didn't eat their own fry! There're many of the same size fry in there, some even smaller, safe and sound but the goldfish fry got killed in a few seconds they were in there. so sad. Now I know and my goldfish fry will be safe in the netted basket until they are at least as big as the other fish :(

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How very sad for you @Nepen
Better luck next time right. I try to watch out for the frogs in the grass but hard to see green frogs sometimes against green grass.
May they R.I.P little frog and fishy's :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks jw. It's so sad when I saw the half head. I want green frogs in my pond and I normally saw them near my skimmer. I don't know I have another one hiding in the grass. I'll have to be more slow next time.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I never mow in the frogs but have pureed my share of baby bunnys.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I looked and prods, it's half the green frog head :cry: I mowed him right to pieces :cry: SOOOOO SAD!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear. :( They stay still as long as possible rather than jump away, hoping their camouflage will work. They don't understand lawnmowers.

That's one reason I went about making my pond area the way I did. I wanted a large fenced in area, so the frogs would stay safe. They wander out every once in awhile, but usually not until night. I always worry when I cut around my native garden too, because frogs and toads like that area.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
5 of your pics did not show for me JB it just says OOps your image was linked incorrectly and says photobucket

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
next time i'll walk around beating on the high grass before I mow. Or I should just mow my lawn before it gets too high ;)

JBailey

Jack of all trades; master of some
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Ugh!!
I hate mowing around certain shrubs and our fencelines since there are always little tree frogs in the grass there.

Bummer about your fishies too :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EstelaR810

Latest Threads