Trap Door Snails good or bad idea?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
nepen you may have introduced pond snails with the addition of live plants.
that may be :)

There came by themselves some though. As I notice I got a huge snail in my newly added lotus tub. There might be eggs on the lotus I got but it wont grow this huge this fast! (or may be they can?)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They are. But they are huge for their own kind. may be they are just well fed ;)

Reaction score
I don't have the heart to kill them. They are really cool. I'm just going to keep them in my indoor tank. They seem happy there and I won't have to worry about my fish catching anything or passing something somewhere else. Thanks for all the opinions!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hello my friend,
I sure hope you are not up at 3:11 am responding to this. Though, I knew I could count on you for an opinion. I have a stream down behind my house, that runs through the woods. I might introduce them to living in the wild if you know what I mean. Sure won't be the first time I've wasted a few dollars. The cost of losing loved koi and seeing what bacterial and fungal infections can do was horrible and is certainly not worth having them. We took swabs of the infections to send off to a lab but we couldn't fine anyone local that could diagnose the sample with out sending it to the west coast. These infections were quick and we had no time to waste on waiting for the results that could take 2 -3 weeks. My fish were dying and had to get started on meds ASAP. Bottom line, eviction time!

Hey you! :) I'm always available to add to the perspectives out here, but just been very busy lately with various projects and farm so I don't login as much since a fella can spend too much time doing this blog'n thing. Yep, was around that time in the A.M. Frick'n sinuses was kicking my butt. :depressed:

Reaction score
Hey you! :) I'm always available to add to the perspectives out here, but just been very busy lately with various projects and farm so I don't login as much since a fella can spend too much time doing this blog'n thing. Yep, was around that time in the A.M. Frick'n sinuses was kicking my butt. :depressed:
I can only imagine how big projects can be on a farm. I sure hope you have help. Sorry to hear you are not feeling well :wtf: and I hope you are feeling better today.(y)

Reaction score
Yeah I worry about that too. My neighbor has a shubbie pond with a few koi I had given her last year. She and I both went in together and bought 100 snails and divided them out. She did find a couple of fish dead but they did not appear to have the funguses and bacterial infection that I had. I may just give them to her. She isn't as particular with her pond as I am and I don't mean that in a bad way.
could you ship them back and maybe get a partial refund?

Reaction score
I purchased some snails for my pond, thinking they would help keep the algae in check. Now I'm really worried about parasites from them. I've never lost a fish in my pond due to bad water quality, parasites, fungus or bacterial until now. Shortly after I introduced these things to my pond. I started noticing changes in my fishes behaviors. Now several things were going on. Spring always bring spawning and algae blooms (which for me, in my pond was causing wide ph swing) and I know that causes added stress on the fish. We had also brought in some new plants (which can carry, who knows what), also purchases some new koi (no gasping please), I did quarantine the new fish for 3 weeks in my quarantine tank, in a product call de-los and then, put them in the pond. I lost 4 koi, clearly due to fungus and bacteria problems. Its been 3 weeks sense all this started, all fish look great with no visual signs of health issues. The (reaper has gone) lol. We fed the fish with koi fix in their food and treated the pond with Nitrofuracin Green as recommended for our pond size. Then have sense followed up with 2 treatments of Potassium Permanganate and hydrogen peroxide.

My question is, should I put the Trap Door snails back in my pond?

Advise from the guy who advised us on the potassium and hydrogen peroxide treatments said, "pray for death to my snails" they carry parasites that just can't be killed and will reek havoc on the health of my fish. I remove the snails from my pond before we started treatments because I was worried the meds would kill them.

Is he correct telling me this?
I'm wondering if the snails could have been what caused all this?

Any help would be appreciated!
My experience with snails over the years has been that whatever good they might do as far as algae removal is more than negated by the turds they leave behind. Choice for me is always to be snail free.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I used to have lots of big Apple snails and some trap door snails too. Problem was the Apple snails were tropical and finding them before winter was a problem. When they die they leave a big stinking mess of goo too. I do not know what happened to my trap door snails. think the big koi ate them or something. Snails can carry parasites for sure!

Ask a Question