Tula's BBB ( baby bog build )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If the pond water is clear, I wouldn't worry about algae in the bog. Maybe after the new plants have gotten established the algae will go away. Starved out by the other plants.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the pond water is clear, I wouldn't worry about algae in the bog. Maybe after the new plants have gotten established the algae will go away. Starved out by the other plants.
I get algae in the bog every spring, the plants are just starting the sun is hitting all that nice shallow water and poof algae grows, then it goes away. Most is gone already.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm just loving this pennywort plant and it's doing well ! The water willow has pretty little blooms on it. Things are filling in....but we still have some algae in the bog.
IMG_3661.jpg
IMG_3662.jpg
IMG_3663.jpg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just don't let that pennywort get in your yard. Thought it would make a nice groundcover- ya! 5+ years later and I still can't get rid of it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pennywort this year you love next year youll question the third youll be ripping it out in had fulls. While your plants are growing the roots rarely are larger then the plant. So you can see all the area where there's no help from the plants. the bogs require some time or a tone of plants.your both lucky and not that the bog was installed on a existing pond. the baxteria will establish quickly but in the same breath there's more waste to deal with .. Its looking real good though. my pond had issues last year with the algae i still have some in the low depth but fast flowing stream but not where it's an issue, This is the start to year three

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Looks great! Don't worry, the plants will fill in pretty quickly. The plants in my new bog are doing great. I think it takes a couple weeks for them to get acclimated and for the roots to really take hold and start spreading out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
honestly, it's been slow taking off, not sure why. It could be the cold Spring, we did have a late hard frost but it's really picking up ow. I was afraid to put i more plats as I thought they'll surely spread.

Yes, I can see Miss. Pennywort will have to be watched very carefully - LOL :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had it , yanked and tossed it. I had it in a small pond and it was taking over big time. So yep watch it! The water willow spreads but I love how it looks so it can grow where ever it wants to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
When I placed my order with Trickers I looked for plants that said " easy to grow" ! Of all the plants I ordered from them the pennywort is growing the fastest. My marsh marigold said it goes dormant in the summer, then can rebloom later. I've noticed it's leaves died off, but small baby leaves are forming :)

I planted the cardinal plant in a little cove and so far it's hanging in there.....it was the weakest looking of the plants I received.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
We're in zone 6b and have had our Marsh Marigold for years. It's huge and every year it gets bigger and somehow others have popped up around the pond. Anyway, it blooms beautifully in the Spring and if my memory serves me correctly, also in the Fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Ironically these are considered annuals for our zone, but they come back every year! These are in a garden bed, but I also planted some in the bog.
IMG_3664.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That cardinal flower may prefer more boggy soil than actual water... if that's what you meant by "cove". Ours migrated out of the margins the pond and into the area just outside of the pond. It's much happier there!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
We planted a cardinal flower right in the soil next to the pond about 3-4 weeks ago. It seems to be doing quite well. I don't know...should it actually have been planted in the bog or right on a shelf in the pond? The bog is getting crowded!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have three cardinal plants in soil in the garden. I decided to try this 4th plants in a shallow cove in the bog......it's feet are wet, but not by much.

The 2 that are doing the best are planted in soil in part sun/ part shade, in the area where the pond over flows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We planted a cardinal flower right in the soil next to the pond about 3-4 weeks ago. It seems to be doing quite well. I don't know...should it actually have been planted in the bog or right on a shelf in the pond? The bog is getting crowded!
I'm hoping my bog gets crowded !! ha ! Maybe I should order more plants?!

Ask a Question