j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We have the Emerald Green Arborvitae's all along our property, about 80 of them and fortunately the deer after almost 20 yrs have not touched them. Just up the road from us there are some that the deer used to devour but don't see them doing any damage anymore there. Think the deer don't like our area anymore as more homes have been built and less wooded area's for them to hide.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Have had my eye on a fallen log when I drive by the Boy Scout camp for awhile
IMG_3144.jpg
IMG_3145.jpg
IMG_3146.jpg
. We brought it home today :) I want to incorporate it into the bog next Spring, maybe laying part of it over the bog and extending a little over the pond to hide some PVC pipes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can use it as edging also.
I used a couple stumps and quartered a log for some of the edging just to break up the rock

A71663BD-4F08-494B-9717-42BF4CCB8711.jpeg

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Joejoe80 that log there looks like it would be a nice sitting place for sticking your feet in the water while the fish give you a nice pedicure :smuggrin:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Absolutely possible! You could do an elevated bog with a bigger spillway or a mostly ground level bog that just flows back into the pond. I have no carpentry skills, so I can dig, so I'd be more inclined to stick with ground level but that's just me.

How much space do you have to work with - it's hard to tell from the photos.
I did it, but probably did it the hard way. It was my “turtle bog,” inside the box turtle habitat. I wanted the bog and the pond to share water, but I needed the bog to be totally enclosed (inside the habitat) so the turtles could use it, but with no danger of escape. I elevated the area for the bog because the return to the pond was by gravity. With mine, I made the usual PVC pipe manifold. I had a “Y” setup on the pond pump, so some of the water was directed to the bog (10+ feet away, maybe) by way of PVC pipe, then the bog itself was designed sort of like a pond skimmer, where the return water flowed out there through more PVC and back to the pond. Not very pretty, but it worked and the turtles enjoyed it. It was a small bog, maybe 6’ x4’ and it grew in almost too fast for me to keep up with — especially since part of it had to be just water for the turtles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I did it, but probably did it the hard way. It was my “turtle bog,” inside the box turtle habitat. I wanted the bog and the pond to share water, but I needed the bog to be totally enclosed (inside the habitat) so the turtles could use it, but with no danger of escape. I elevated the area for the bog because the return to the pond was by gravity. With mine, I made the usual PVC pipe manifold. I had a “Y” setup on the pond pump, so some of the water was directed to the bog (10+ feet away, maybe) by way of PVC pipe, then the bog itself was designed sort of like a pond skimmer, where the return water flowed out there through more PVC and back to the pond. Not very pretty, but it worked and the turtles enjoyed it. It was a small bog, maybe 6’ x4’ and it grew in almost too fast for me to keep up with — especially since part of it had to be just water for the turtles.
I remember your turtle habitat. Do you still have your turtles, since you moved? Our bog will need lots of tinkering next Spring, but we just wanted to get it in before winter. Gives me something to look forward to :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Tula Yes, still have the turtles, but they spent the summer in a stacked cinder block enclosure, and for winter they are in large peat-filled totes in the garage. Plans are to build the new pond in the spring, and will again incorporate some sort of connected pond for the turtles. I like the idea of a bog — and they liked it, too, as it gave them cover when they went out to soak.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-b
Country
United States
I thought the gravel wasn't supposed to be deeper than 12 inches? I'm building my bog too, but haven't done pipes or gravel yet........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I thought the gravel wasn't supposed to be deeper than 12 inches? I'm building my bog too, but haven't done pipes or gravel yet........
We did about 12 inches of gravel, but I know others ( @Lisak1 and @addy1 ) went deeper and have had great success. I'm starting to believe even a "badly built" bog will turn out and improve a pond :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I used to think that, as well, but others have used a deeper base without problems. Initially, I went with 12”, but with a renovation, went about 6” deeper. I think I like the deeper layer better as long as there is adequate water flow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our bog in it's entirety is four feet deep. We have Aquablox in the bottom, then softball sized rocks, then egg sized, and the last 18 inches is gravel.

Ask a Question