Tula's BBB ( baby bog build )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Our bog in it's entirety is four feet deep. We have Aquablox in the bottom, then softball sized rocks, then egg sized, and the last 18 inches is gravel.
Wish I'd known about aqua blocks, seems like they'd be a good fit in the bottom of a bog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I retrospect not gluing it would have been a good idea, unfortunately, it's glued. There is a portion of the run which is above bo level, so I guess we'll have to let it back flush a little and hope for the best. We're supposed to get some nasty weather, sleet etc. on Thursday, so want to get it done today.

Thank you :)
Along with back flushing if your lines are already at the high point you can always cut in a ball t and put a ball valve at the end at the high point along with breaking siphone you can put a small airline or garden hose into the pipe and drain it down

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Along with back flushing if your lines are already at the high point you can always cut in a ball t and put a ball valve at the end at the high point along with breaking siphone you can put a small airline or garden hose into the pipe and drain it down
I later discovered hubby had put in a "union" ( think that's what you call it ) so we were able to easily disconnect the lines and drain them :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, I turned on the pump that feeds the bog this afternoon! I smelled a slight "rotten egg " smell for a few seconds, then it was gone. The plants look like they made it through the winter as I can see their roots and a little green in their crowns.

Still have the Sand & Gravel filter torn apart and most of the pond is still covered....but we're getting there !!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great! All I ever smell is pond water type smell, when I turn it on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've figured out how I want to hide the extra bog liner.....but it's going to mean brining a bunch of rocks up a hill !!! Hubby finished plumbing on Sand & Gravel filter, so will probably turn it on tomorrow :) I won't turn on the water fall till it's much warmer.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Heave Ho @Tula
1584144946723.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it's still cool here in ct and I have three waterfalls yes I'm sure it is chilling the water a bit but it's been above 50 or at durring the day.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
but it's going to mean brining a bunch of rocks up a hill !!
I look at the 5 pallets of rock I hauled up our hill and wonder how in the world did I ever do that. I know I had to roll a lot of them, hand carry the rest.

it's still cool here in ct and I have three waterfalls yes I'm sure it is chilling the water a bit but it's been above 50 or at durring the day.
I watch the water temp climb and drop, a nice sunny day temps go up cold night they drop. The bog surface is huge and does change the water temps, it can swing by 3-5 degrees day to night. The warmth we have had the pond has climbed to 52 even after a cool night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Took some pictures of the bog today. Please no "bog shaming " as we review our "challenges" - LOL. This first picture shows the water returning to the pond. There is a waterfall pipe directly under the spill way. Any ideas on how to naturalize it more? So far we tucked the bog liner under the top rock around the pond....I also put a little piece of drift wood over it. I don't know how to conceal the liner hanging into the pond.

T
IMG_3395.jpg
IMG_3397.jpg
IMG_3399.jpg
IMG_3400.jpg
IMG_3401.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The other pictures show another longer log along one side of the pond ad some of the rock work surrounding the bog. Some of the pea gravel has settled over the winter, making it deeper in parts. I kind of like that....kind of like a hybrid stream / bog. However, we can get more pea gravel once we can shop more.

I also posted pictures showing what I believe to be new growth of the plants, planted just before last winter. I'm so grateful to @addy1 for them !! I haven't looked online to see if places are shipping water plants or not, frankly we've had more pressing issues with some of our family and the virus situation....so really grateful some are growing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
These pictures show more rock work. We haven't cut any liner yet and have quite a bit of it. There is also a picture of the red stemmed parrots feather from @addy1 that grew steadily over the winter under the pond cover. All I did before winter is tuck some into a small mesh bag and tie it to a pipe, leaving it floating in the pond.

Hubby is also building an extension to the structure that hides our hideous sand & gravel filter. We'd hoped to move and replumb it, but found a tree stump in the area we wanted to move it to.....so this is our cosmetic solution....painting will commence once warmer.

Also, the "Fab Four" are happily swimming around the pond looking so beautiful...and approaching 16 years in the pond ! I gave them a light feeding last night and felt my blood pressure drop....so calming.
IMG_3402.jpg
IMG_3403.jpg
IMG_3404.jpg
IMG_3405.jpg
IMG_3406.jpg
IMG_3408.jpg

Ask a Question