ultraviolet light

Reaction score
can anyone recommend me a good ultrviolet lite and a web site to purchase one i would really appreciate it thanks

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
HOW BIG IS THE POND? IS IT UNDER 1500 GALS? A 9 WATT TETRAPOND served me well on my 450 gal &1200 gal pond ...They carry them at LOWES.... under $100.00 theres a good selection on ebay too!

Reaction score
I was gonna ask the same question, Dave. Do you, the members of this forum, use an ultraviolet light? I am currently using a Savio biofilter with a 150 gallon Skippy filter and my water is still murky. I'm trying to be patient, but I'm not sure if it's in my personality. Dave, I did use a Aquascapes UV light for my old 1000 gallon pond and it worked great, but it's too small for my new 4000 gallon one....go figure. I'm looking forward to reading everyone's replies.I have read that if you have a "balanced" ecosystem, your pond will be clear...obviously, in my case, there isn't anything balanced in mine...lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't need one, but I have a huge bog filtering my system. I have read the uv's are great to get rid of the green small cell stuff, use for a week or two then turn off for the year.

Reaction score
I have always had great luck with Aqua UV lights. They are not the cheapest (or the most expensive) but they are built extremely well & last a very long time. One thing to consider usn't just the cost of the unit itself but also the replacement bulb + shipping. Some of the longer bulbs might have extra shipping due to being 3-4ft long.

Like stated how large is your pond? Going with a larger UV unit will allow you to clear the water up quicker, run more flow through the UV & also you won't need to run the UV 24/7

I had a extra Aqua UV80w that I put on my pond, 3500 +/- gallons & it went from pea-green to clear in 12-18 hours. I put a 57w Aqua UV on my Aunt's pong which is 1000-1500 gallons & it cleared it up in 8-12 hours.

Depending on what you want to spend & also the pond size..... we can suggest places to get it from

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
why people would run a U.V all season is beyond me...if your ponds clear in 2 days ...run it a few extra days to a week and shut it down, clean it up and put it away!

Reaction score
yea, no need running a UV 12 months a year when in a area that gets cold. For me it's easier to just keep it plummed in & when it's needed just turn it on. Get's cleaned when it gets a new bulb.....

Ask a Question