addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice this is going to be fun to watch you build.

Reaction score
I am having fun building it!

I started out with a PVC tubing framework. It was inexpensive and lightweight, but it took up a lot of space. So I opted for this extruded aluminum stuff (80/20). Much more expensive, but it is extremely sturdy and heavy and I can also disassemble, move and reassemble it relatively easily. A one person task.

I do have one dilemna, however. All the pieces are 3" x 3" or 1.5" x 3" and the styrofoam sheets are 4" thick. So, I will have to figure out a way to fit them in to the frame so that the sides, top and bottom and the ends butt up to eachother properly while still being flush with the outside framing. I may have to take the sawzall and cut some edges or corners off the styrofoam panels so that they fit like puzzle pieces. That's just one more engineering step to make it all fit right. I just hate cutting the styrofoam panels. Once cut, they are usable for just the one position or application. So, I have to ensure I decide, measure and cut them properly right from the start. There is no going back once cut.

Gordy

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
"There is no going back once cut."

Lots of glue! lol

Reaction score
"There is no going back once cut."

Lots of glue! lol

Hi Addy,

Well, I suppose if I make a mistake with the cutting of the styrofoam panels, I could probably glue them back together to some extent with some PL-??? adhesive. They may not be as strong as orginal, but some of the PL adhesives would probably work acceptably. However, then they would look like "shaving cream, be nice and clean, shave everyday and you'll always look keen". LOL.

Rather than inserting a four letter word there, I opted for the lyric from an old song. If you recall the song, my reference will be humorous and not derogatory or cursing/cussing. You understand. :)

Gordy

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing gordy, got it, and I was kidding about gluing them back together! Do templates first or little cuts, I always cut a little big and slowly get it to fit perfectly.

Reaction score
Addy,

:) I will be careful for sure. I only bought 16 of these panels, $200 for the whole lot and they wer high density material, that means that they are designed to be placed under concrete and they will support it. I got a really good deal on them, they were leftovers so the guy made me a deal. But, I don't want to waste them by making mistakes, you understand.

It is rather nice... If you go into an establishment to buy materials, they charge you so much. But, if you walk in and tell them all about your project, and you ask for scraps, they often just give you stuff or they find you some freebies somewhere. You have to be a good "scrounger"! :)

Gordy

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used a very sharp kitchen butcher knife to cut the stuff before, to me I have more control than with our sawzall or I have used the jigsaw with a long blade. My honey has used a circular saw to cut stuff, at least to make the first cut to have a groove to follow with the sawzall

I love our sawzall for pruning trees that sucker does a good job with a pruning blade.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have gone to the restore from habitate for humanity .It is a great source for supplies .I find a lot of new stuff there too .I found out that places like home depot and lowes gives a lot of there leftover stuff to them and I was amazed at what I could get there .I got brand new pendent lights for my sons house that sold at home depot for 85 dollars and I got them for 15 dollars .I got ridged foam core board there 4x8 sheets for 10 dollars and it was 4 inches thick .I go everytime I go to Danville you never know what you might find .

Reaction score
Sissy,

Darned right! You must be very frugile! It may sound very odd, but I like to go "dumpster diving"! LOL Well, not for food of course, but for hobby materials. It is amazing what companies throw away. They are so wasteful. Of course, you have to be careful. What is in their trash is still their property until it is loaded on a truck and off their property, so you have to ask permission first. I usually just "dumpster dive" where I work. We have recycle barrels and if we find something nice in there, we can pay $2 for a scrap pass and take it home legally. We try to save up enough "goodies" to make that $2really worthwhile. We usually end up with a "box" of stuff for our $2.

Let's see, what's in my take home box today? Hmm, 14 lbs of aluminum, 7 lbs of copper pipe and wire, one old but never used 90 degree gearbox, don't know what I am going to use that for, one 90 volt DC motor brand new, tossed because the gearbox shaft came out the left side instead of the right, an old temperature controller that still works, an electrical disconnect box, about a pound of nuts and bolts or various sizes, a 4 foot 1 1/4" stainless steel pipe with threaded ends, some sort of electrical control system for I don't know what. Hmm. I guess that's worth the $2.

Gordy

Ask a Question