UV light for new filter and pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have built a new pond that is approx 3500 litres. Just popped in some native marginals and 4 small fish . Shubunkin and Sarasa comets. The pump has been running for 7-10 days prior to fish and plants. Should I wait for the filter to mature prior to turning on the UV light? I am struggling to find a clear answer?
Thanks
Jez

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1617066294261.gif
@Jez Cawthorne
No UV here either.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Some people swear by UV filtration - others, like you see from these responses don't use UV at all. I'm in the "no UV" camp. UV filtration is effective at clearing single cell floating algae, but it also will kill off other single celled organisms that are desirable in your pond.

I would wait and allow the pond to mature - which may mean going through a "new pond" phase that might look REALLY GREEN. But you ultimately want a pond that is naturally balanced, which takes some time. Exercise some pond patience and I think you'll find you never need that UV filter at all!

Reaction score
Turn the light on when the water is green and turn it off when it clears up. Or wait all summer for it to clear up and hopefully you'll get a chance to enjoy it next year. It does take time for a pond to balance but depending on your water you may be fighting a losing battle.

Ask a Question