Very confused Koi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
well my koi a rather confused. The weather here in Kingston Ontario has them going up and then back down, one day its -15 with wind chill of -26, then the next day it +7, the ice melts and they are up looking for food. They eat some of the algae. I hope either spring comes early or winter remains a little longer, but one not both.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the fish during winter see me and come swimming over I'll throw in a little food. if they actively go for it I'll give them some more. Keep in mind if the temps are to plummet, undigested food in there gut can become toxic as there body functions freeze and they slow down. Not that it will , but it is possible.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I actually fed my GF yesterday pond water is 50, they all came swimming when they saw me. They got a small handful, it disappeared fast.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@woodturner with koi - those rapidly changing air temps have very little affect on the water temperature. Air cools and heats very quickly while water takes much longer. Even when the ice is melting from the surfaces the water temp will change very little in the pond. I think the fish react more to the increasing sunlight and want to get to the top of the pond. I know mine will come and hover near the surface when it's nice and sunny, even when it's still only 30 degrees outside.

Ask a Question