Very sick fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I just joined and I have a question about a sick fish but it may be too late.

We have a 3-4k gallon tank with 8 koi. The water is very healthy, you can see down to the bottom, I live in southeast Georgia so the water temperature isn’t the problem and it’s just the one fish.

Gizmo is about a 10” koi. He started acting strange a few days ago...swimming on his side and sometimes he was vertical nose down on bottom and it got to the point I thought he was dead and then he would move a few minutes later and he was still swimming some at that time.

As of today he’s not swimming anymore, he just stays with his nose down vertically. I saw another fish run into him and knocked him sideways, his fins started moving but he was unable to swim.

I was going to try and give him frozen peas but of course he can’t eat now.

like I said, thinking it’s too late, but I don’t know what else to do. Thank you for your help.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

How long has this “tank” been set up and running? And how accurate are you about the size of the “tank?” Most of us refer to it as a pond, especially if it’s as big as 3-4K. Have you made any recent changes: added new fish, water changes, chemicals in the water.....? Just because you can “see down to the bottom,” doesn’t mean your water is healthy. What kind of filtration do you have? Do you test your water? If you could give us the results of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, KH, and GH, it might give us some more information that would help us figure out what’s going on.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Lori! @Mmathis is spot on with the water testing. You can take a water sample to a pet or pond center if you don't have testing capability. How are the other fish acting? Have you examined the sick fish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

How long has this “tank” been set up and running? And how accurate are you about the size of the “tank?” Most of us refer to it as a pond, especially if it’s as big as 3-4K. Have you made any recent changes: added new fish, water changes, chemicals in the water.....? Just because you can “see down to the bottom,” doesn’t mean your water is healthy. What kind of filtration do you have? Do you test your water? If you could give us the results of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, KH, and GH, it might give us some more information that would help us figure out what’s going on.

It IS a pond, no idea why I said tank!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1609953862014.gif
@Lori239 and welcome
Sorry to hear about your fish. I'm not experienced w/fish disease but hope you can find help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Hello and welcome!

The pond was here before we moved in 14 years ago. My husband takes care of the pond, so no idea. He left town on business for a month and of course this happens when he left.

No recent changes to anything. I have always wondered if he was blind because when I feed the fish, instead of going straight for the food he usually just swims to the side and starts gulping until the food comes his way. (Read something about that causing swim bladder disease)

I thought for sure he would not be alive this morning, but he was just sitting on the bottom with the rest, like they normally do in the mornings. Within about an hour, nose back on bottom.

I have a lot going on and a sick dog but I’m just doing the best I can searching for advice.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
PS... I don’t really know how to examine the fish other than looking at it best I can and taking photos and zooming in for a better look

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lori239 How long has your pond been up and running, and have there been any recent changes in the pond routine?

What kind of filtration do you have? If you’re not sure, pictures could be helpful.

Prior to this incident, what was the koi’s behavior like?

Do you see any sore spots, torn fins/scales, discoloration (especially, red streaks in the fins), or anything that physically looks different than it did previously?

I imagine it would be difficult in a 3-4K gallon pond, but maybe you can net this particular koi in order to get a few pics of it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Lori! @Mmathis is spot on with the water testing. You can take a water sample to a pet or pond center if you don't have testing capability. How are the other fish acting? Have you examined the sick fish?
Other fish are normal. He’s always been different, like the way that I described him eating

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Run to the store for a test kit. Even the cheap test strips for aquariums from Walmart. Test the water and post results.
It does sound as if this fish is a bit” special “, so see if you can set up a separate container, with pond water, and a filter, net him, and see if you can get some pictures of him, and try offering the peas. Hand feed them to him if he will take them. You’ll want the container to be big enough for him to be able to move, and deep enough to cover him. A large plastic tote will work. If you think you’ll have him in it longer than a day, get as big a filter as you can for it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, fish is swimming around today. Don’t think he is 100%, but again I didn’t think he would be alive this a.m. Feeding him peas as I was told it will help his stomach because he did look bloated when he was upside down. Is it possible he’s fine?! Honestly I don’t think it’s the water. He’s always been a little different and all the other fish are happy.

thanks everyone, will keep you posted and any other input is appreciated.

Last edited:

Ask a Question