Water Garden Features - Window Shopping :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Bettasngoldfish reminded me... Once everything warms up, I hope to install a couple vase fountains kind of like the one below, but build it my self instead so I can use a vase that can have a significant number of plants on the top... These will basically be like miniature little "bogs" to help filter the water.

View attachment 88340

I am going to take a plain vase such as below or plastic container that looks like a vase...

View attachment 88341

Then, I got some rock tile from StrataStones (http://www.stratastones.net/products/Dark-Ocean-Pebble-Tile.html)... and I am going to face the vase with the rock tile... That hyperlink about the pringle's can (in my previous post) gave me the idea...

View attachment 88342

Water will come up in the center, with plants in there, and flow down the rock back into my stream. I am very looking forward to doing this, but waiting for the greenhouses to open when they get a good selection of vases. I might end up going the cheap way, cutting up a plastic container, but just curious what the greenhouses will have. :) I can't wait to get started on doing this. Definitely going to share pictures once done.

I plumbed up through the bottom of Vietnamese clay pots. I used a diamond bit to cut the hole (very long process, but worked), installed a bulk head and hooked the plumbing to the outside of the bulk head. I even like the algae build up on them, and it gave a great spot for Hyacinth.

DSCN8441.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I plumbed up through the bottom of Vietnamese clay pots. I used a diamond bit to cut the hole (very long process, but worked), installed a bulk head and hooked the plumbing to the outside of the bulk head. I even like the algae build up on them, and it gave a great spot for Hyacinth.

View attachment 88386
I love that!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
One of my favorite pond decor items is Talavera pottery. But the problem is it does not weather well if left out in the cold. Every pot I have left out has cracked over winter due to the cold. So I have to remember to put them out in May and bring them in, in September.

I think their colors look wonderful around the ponds.

Here is an example found on goggle, not mine.
e6ee470f1b5dd7e60ff004ae4cfd6267.jpg

I have this little Talavera Chihuahua in my home office. It does not go outside as it is very special to me.
DSCN9079.JPG

I have a half pot that hangs on the wall outside and had a lizard my dear hubby broke that hung on the wall. I also have a hand full of various sized free standing talavera pots.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a

View attachment 88386

@pecan that picture is exactly what I hope to achieve on a few sides of my stream...

... the algae on the pot is like icing on a cake... :)

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I figure I can silicone their little butts to the rock they won't be able to fly away, but at least they won't drown. ;)

@Troutredds i was actually talking about the kids taking a swim to get the fairies, but that is a good idea as well. :)

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
So.... I'll start... :D

I am currently in the process of awaiting to receive the below... they are called Flow Forms... I only found one outlet in the United States that builds them...

http://www.bohemianstoneworks.com/portfolio-item/flowforms/

These are sold in individual pieces rather than an entire package so that you can create whatever design you want. The pieces below are just an example of 3~4 individual pieces put together. Going to mix match mine up. I got one of the Emerson 2 and one of the Sprite 2.

View attachment 88332 View attachment 88333

I found a rustic hand water pump from ebay, kind of like the one below... Ebay has a big selection of rustic hand water pumps... this pump is what will feed water to the Sprite 2....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Iron-Antiqu...-Decorative-Pond-Pumps-Yard-Art-/371172339354

View attachment 88334

Taking a long time for the Flow Forms to be created. I will share a picture once I have everything in place.

Here is an update...

NCM_0001.JPG

Sprite 2 - Flow Form ... That is the water feature piece receiving water from the hand pump, creating the neato water swirling.

((Ignore the white pvc pipe there below the hand pump. I am awaiting to receive a neat wood box that will hide that pipe. I was going to wait till I shared this, but just too cool to wait to share.))

This water feature piece was created for me by Bohemian Stoneworks in California. I ordered by email and finalized through the phone from here in Texas, they were quite friendly in helping me out with my purchase, and the shipping was quite reasonable and they packaged the water feature like a champ with hay and burlap, which the package material will now be repurposed for another use. :)

Just wanted to share cause it is quite fabulous. Took me a while until I stopped the moving water from hypnotizing me. :)

I also purchased the Emerson 2 flow form, which will be its own pond-less water feature in another location of my yard, and I will share a video once this project is done.

Enjoy!

http://www.bohemianstoneworks.com/portfolio-item/flowforms/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I got one of those hand pumps at harbor freight .Still sitting around waiting for me to use it

LOL! I remember when we had a thread discussing these hand pumps sissy. I still have not bought one but I still look at them every now and then. Eventually I will get one but then it will probably sit around here for a while until I can get it set up. That is after I figure out if I want it on the pond, the stock tank or my half barrel.....decisions, decisions, decisions....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The way I was going to set mine up was with a hose running up the middle of and into the tank and use pvc board to mount it to the top of the tank .I am going to use the hose from the pump that pumps water through the UV's and use one of my barrels .I have those plastic barrels that look like half wine barrels I got last year .I got them end of season for 6 dollars

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow sissy, I can't believe you got a plastic barrel planter for $6.00 that's awesome.

I bought one the end of last winter and I paid a lot more than that (I think it holds about 30 gallons of water) I put some plants and a few snails in it last year. Dropped an air stone in and left it alone except for the occasional water change to freshen things up. My husband made me empty it and put it away for the winter as he thought it would crack from the cold.

Here it is shortly after I set it up. It kept changing as the season went and the plants grew. I really enjoyed having it on the patio.

144.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't know if mine is that big .I bought mine at tractor supply in NC.I thought I had a pic .I bought 2 big ones and 2 smaller ones

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine is 25 inch's wide by 15 inch's tall .It was 24.99 down to 19.99 and then down to 10 dollars and manager wanted to get them out of the store and if my sister and i would buy the last 6 of them it was 6 dollars each for the big ones and the last 4 of the smaller ones we paid 4 dollars each for them .they are 20 inch's x10 inch's high

Attachments

• barrels 003.JPG
    barrels 003.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 228
  • barrels 009.JPG
    barrels 009.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 208
  • barrels 005.JPG
    barrels 005.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 287

Ask a Question