Water garden plant varieties

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Because of my limited knowledge of the different types of aqauatic plants I have been spending some time searching the internet for information on all of the aquatic type plants available for ponds. Be it floating plants, bog plants, or the large variety of bootom dwelling water lillies that are so hard to choose from. Not to exclude the lotus. I'm finding that there are limitless varieties for almost every climate, and size of pond.

What I am finding from experience is that there are aqautic plants to avoid and many that are quite compatible with the landscape around the pond. For my intentions and purpose, I'm trying to make my artificial body of water look as natural and eye appealing as possible without creating a patch of vegitation that is hard to maintain. Like the 'parrot feather', which did a good job of creating cover for the frogs, but ended up dropping roots into every other plant in my pond. Next spring I will have to repot and remove as much parrot feather root from other pots as I can.

It's been fun and relaxing working on and enjoying my pond. I guess you could it can be a labor of love. I think my wife is jealous.

Reaction score
you are so right OldMarine. I had Rush in my pond one year and the thing turned into a massive clump that took three people to get it out when I removed it. Additionally, rush is highly invasive, and if you drop even a small piece onto the ground it can quickly take over a yard in no time flat with it's spreading roots.

We had a huge problem here in NC with regard to plants like parrot feather, because people dumped them into the lake and it grew so quickly that it took over the lake and boater engines would get snarled and it was choking out beneficial critters.

They actually had to bring in a specific type of fish whose main diet was this plant. However, the fish also reproduces very quickly so they had to ensure that they were bringing in sterile fish and thusly not create another problem.

With plants like water lettuce and hyacinths, its the same deal as they multiply extremely quickly. If you've got too much either sell it or dump it in the trash (or the compost pile). Do not throw these plants in a nearby stream, lake or other both of local water as it will undoubtedly create problems.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Koikeeper, Thank you for the outstanding advice.

I even have a Pickeral Weed that did quite well for it's first year. What I didn't notice was that it leaned over onto another potted horsetail rush and took root. Next spring I will re-pot everything and give the plants a little more separation.

Right now all I have in my pond is lillies on the bottom, and the rest are bog type plants. Horsetail rush, pickeral weed, and minature cat tail. With exception of adding hyacinth next spring, that will be just about it.

Ask a Question