Water Hyacinth Blooms for the First Time!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Yesterday there were no signs of my water hyacinth blooming and today wow. This is my first patio pond and I am now addicted!!
I am thinking of moving up to a 40 gal stock tank for next summer. Do you guys keep your patio ponds running in the winter? I am in Georgia just south of Atlanta. We can get cold but not too often.
first blooms.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday there were no signs of my water hyacinth blooming and today wow. This is my first patio pond and I am now addicted!!
I am thinking of moving up to a 40 gal stock tank for next summer. Do you guys keep your patio ponds running in the winter? I am in Georgia just south of Atlanta. We can get cold but not too often.
View attachment 141225
Blooming luvly!!! Wonder if they'll keep sending more blooms out

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very pretty blooms! I don't have a patio pond. Will the Hyacinth stay alive over winter there? They won't here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Very pretty blooms! I don't have a patio pond. Will the Hyacinth stay alive over winter there? They won't here.
I don't know if they will overwinter outdoors. I may put a heater in the pond and try it out. This is my first time working with a pond so I try things out and learn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't know if they will overwinter outdoors. I may put a heater in the pond and try it out. This is my first time working with a pond so I try things out and learn.
it'll cost you more in electricity for the heat while over wintering than it costs to just buy them new each spring. Plus, they need a lot of sun, too.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Beautiful!
I was so excited all week, I could see a water lilly bud growing slowly up and yesterday it broke the surface, I was so excited this morning going down thinking it would be nicely spread open for the morning sun...

THE FOXES GOT IT!

Not only that but they left the leaves and bud right there next to the pond for me to see. SO upset! My first ever ever waterlilly and it was killed for no reason but fun.

Ask a Question