Water lettuce—underwater flowers, or ?? :-D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a or 10b
Country
United States
IMG_0901.JPG
IMG_0904.JPG
I introduced some water lettuce to my small patio container pond recently. The residents are two 6" shubunkins, a few mosquito fish, and two trapdoor snails. A short time ago, I also put in an aquaclear filter to keep the water clean, although I think the pump may be a bit too powerful.

Looked at the WL roots the other day to see if they needed trimming, and found this on the underside of one, with another "bud" on the way. This one also looks like something has chewed away all of the roots to a stump.

For a few moments, I entertained the fantasy that the shubbies' recent spawning frenzy had been productive. :D Do water lettuce have underwater flowers? Or is something else going on? I thought shubunkins didn't eat WL?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never seen it happen with flower buds and fish will eat tender roots and all fish love greens .Could maybe be snail eggs .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a or 10b
Country
United States
Still wondering if anyone is familiar enough with water lettuce to know what these are—flower? Fruiting body? Seeds? In the second picture there's a bud or pod full of these bits, ready to open.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've never successfully grown water lettuce - they don't do well in my pond for some reason - but it does look like the seed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Possible snail eggs as it looks right. Not trap doors as they are live birth not eggs.

Ask a Question