water lilies

Reaction score
Country
Canada
my lilies are not in pots but root in the bottom of the pond. why is it a bad idea to let them spread this way?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It is not bad at all but they can get very heavy when the time comes to either thin them out or take them out. A few of mine grew out of the pots and are just rooting outside of the pot, no issues here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just watch a few minutes of this video to see what lilies can do if left to their own devices!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have had a few jump their pots, roots out by around 2 feet. It took two of us to lift the oil pan out with the hanging roots. I keep them all under control now.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have mine bare root in the pond, but I designed the shallower portion of the pond to contain them. This way they can’t spread
Through out the whole pond.

I have had to thin them out a few times over the 9 years, since I built the pond. No biggie, but may not be great idea as I get older and may not feel like getting in the pond anymore.

In a smaller pond though unpotted lilies could take over quickly. As they have taken over about a 12’x15’ portion of my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
How often should the roots be cropped? I have a lily that's been here only about a month, and it's already rooting outside the container.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have a lily that's been here only about a month, and it's already rooting outside the container.

I cull mine every other year. How big is the pot that it's in? The pots they sell them in are generally not the best pot to grow them in. I use either oil pans (thanks to @addy1 for the idea!) or dishpans. Something shallow and low is better. They do make lily pots - shallow, no holes - but they tend to be more expensive. Although I did pick a few up at one of the big box stores a few years ago and they weren't too bad - maybe $5 a piece.

The idea is to plant the tuber so it can grow across the pan. I put mine with the growing tip near the edge and the tuber pointed toward the middle. In a larger pan, I'll put two in across from each other. In nursery pots they tend to grow up and out instead of staying in the pan.

Here's the oil pan:

634adcd8-df33-49af-967d-f08b4c653603_1.c2d8de0ad4add9adce2689dad900f83f.jpeg

Here's a dishpan:

FH000004.jpg

And here's an official water lily pot:
0005485_botanica-water-lily-container-12d-x-5h_350.jpeg

As you can see, all serve the same purpose - contain the lily while it grows! A good lip on the edge is helpful. I use a garden rake to grab them and pull them around or out of the pond when I don't feel like getting in (aka the water is freezing!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's not in a pot per se, but in a sort of coconut fibre pouch. I just dropped it in the water, and it took off.
I have another in a basket, similar to the square one you have pictured. It's not doing as well as the two in the coconut husk pouches.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just be aware that a lily out of a pot will take over an entire pond if you let it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would like very much for it to "take over" about a 1/4 of the pond surface area. To provide shade for the fish.

Ask a Question