Water lilies without pots?

Reaction score
Hi all! I bought two water lilies from Petsmart. They came in a bag and the directions said to place in 2-6 ft of water. That it comes in a coco fiber mesh bag that helps contain and protect the roots. I put one in a month ago and a Lilly pad has reached the surface. I didn't even think about potting it, I just followed the directions. Will I have a problem with roots trying to attach themselves to the liner? I do not have gravel or any other type of bottom substrate. Should I remove and pot them? Thanks for your advice:).

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I would remove and repot, I've seen several people try and grow them like directed and although they will grow they usually don't do well. Plant the lily in about 1-2 gallon pots and in 18"-24" of water. Moving to deeper water once established, up to 36". Feed at least monthly for best blooms. When repotting make sure and pot with some thought about what fish will be in the pond. If you have fish that don't dig, sand on top of what ever you plant in will be fine, goldfish use heavy sand, pea gravel, or slightly larger rock, for koi use larger rock, or lava rock to cover the surface, make sure the rocks used are larger than your fish can possibly fit in their mouths. EVEN WHEN THEIR GROWN! For fish, such as mollies, rosey barbs, or gourami's, etc no surface media is needed, they don't disturb it so just plain clay mud can be used, but stay away from store bought soil unless designed for ponds. Additives can be unclear and not noted on the bag. Best not to use anything that has any additives what so ever.

Reaction score
Ours are planted in "nursery pots" ... smaller plants are in 2-3 gallon pots, the larger, are in 5 gallon pots ... we put a bit of gravel in the bottom of the pots (so planting media wont come out the holes), then plant is PLAIN 100% clay kitty litter (not the scoopable stuff, and NO perfumes, etc) ... IF we dont have kitty litter on hand, or not enough, have used clay soil ... then top with more gravel (usually fine for goldfish or smaller koi) ...

If the plant is too small to plant, we just let it float til the roots get longer, and then weight it to the bottom (shallow) using a rock or two on the roots to weight it down, til it is large enough to pot up.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Like capewind I have made use of a lot of "nursery pots".

I detest gravel getting lose in the pond so I started lining the pots with old newspaper to keep the soil in. By the time the paper breaks down the soil has solidified and will not come out. In time some roots will find their way out the holes and start using nutrients from the water.

If you don't want the roots getting out line the pot in the area of the holes with plastic grocery store bags.

Reaction score
Picked up a few more plants. I put a ledge in my pond when I built it. It's about 16 in deep. Placed 1of the plants on top of an empty planter to make the top of the pot a few inches below the surface. I just ordered 2 10 in. Floating planters to put the others in. Don't necessarily like the idea of using upside down pots to support plants. Just feel there's too much chance of them tipping. I figure on anchoring them to the sides of the pond or using a weight to anchor to the bottom. Any thoughts on floating planters?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Lilies grow across the pot. They really do not need a lot of depth. Some people are growing them in rectangular containers like dish pans or oil change pans.

hardy-lily.gif
Image from here
The lily will have at least one growing tip. An end where the new growth is. Place the rhizome against the wall, or in the corner, of the pot with the growing tip pointed at the center. The lily will grow its way across the pot. When it get to the other side it is time to repot it.

HTH

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have mine in a gallon sized bucket with holes drilled all around, I even put a piece of scrap liner underneath my pot..went to move it the other day to help aid in catching a fish- and its totally rooted into my black liner explains why ive been losing water..but my lily is large too I probably shouldve pulled it the beginning of spring and trimmed it good..i have 11 blooms on it now

Attachments

• 20210703_144400.jpg
    20210703_144400.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 77

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
and its totally rooted into my black liner explains why ive been losing water
I would be surprised if the roots went through the liner, they usually don't. But they do get extremely heavy if they jump their pots and collect dirt ect on those fast growing roots. That looks like a very healthy colorado

This thread is from 2013 last time some posted in it

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would be surprised if the roots went through the liner, they usually don't. But they do get extremely heavy if they jump their pots and collect dirt ect on those fast growing roots. That looks like a very healthy colorado

This thread is from 2013 last time some posted in it
Ok hopefully that's the case then I don't have anything in the bottom except a few river rocks around my pots but I'm sure gunk & leaves collect in spots & thank you it is very healthy even though my 18 or so koi dig into it..the frogs and my 2 tiny turtles love em..i actually bought that one from a pond store already started.i bought this one early this spring from lowes as just a tube and so far ive only gotten 1 bloom at a time but I just love it too❤

Attachments

• 20210705_113835_HDR.jpg
    20210705_113835_HDR.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 50

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have all my lilies potted in dish pans now. I had some of the lily crates that are mesh. I found the roots would grow thru and it was hard to pull them in fall. They grew into the thin layer of algae on the liner but never had them puncture it. Repotted cutting from this spring.
0706211112.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On my Lillies I wrap Lead Plant Weight Strips around a large smooth stone attached to the Tuber of the Lilly.
My Pond is also a Liner Pond and after about two years the weight of the Tuber is usually enough to keep the Lilly firmly on the bottom if not the stone does its job until the weight holds naturally.

This is my Pond
(The video is about spawning but you can see the Lillies)

But each Lilly is weighted and the silver things hanging keep the Herons away.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On my Lillies I wrap Lead Plant Weight Strips around a large smooth stone attached to the Tuber of the Lilly.
My Pond is also a Liner Pond and after about two years the weight of the Tuber is usually enough to keep the Lilly firmly on the bottom if not the stone does its job until the weight holds naturally.

<snip>

But each Lilly is weighted and the silver things hanging keep the Herons away.

Hi,

We have a lined pond, with a British native waterlily that was purchased as a tuber. It has a 1kg stone attached as a weight, yet it is floating. It's been in there maybe 3 years. Given the weight of the stone, we don't feel that the lead plant weights would add anything significant to it, yet we need to solve the problem of it floating.

Ask a Question