Waterfall Flow Over the Edge of Rocks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all!

Thanks to this awesome forum, I avoided making a "volcano" in my yard. I have been enjoying a test setup for a water feature, but looking for some advice on controlling the flow of water. My build is concrete blocks with some pieces of flagstone on top. I have my spillway hidden in the rocks, and it spills onto the flagstone, and then flows of the edge. The spillway and all of the flagstone is not laid flat, it is all tilted at a 15 degree angle to increase the speed of the water and help it flow over the edge more consistently.

Unfortunately, it still finds a way to defy gravity and flow backward, up the bottom of the flagstone and back to the cement block wall. For my final install, I will use some foam to ensure the water all makes to the edge I intend for it to flow over and nowhere else, but I am not sure what else can be done about this phenomenon of flowing backward on the underside of the spillway rock. Will this always happen unless there is a fairly sharp edge that the water is flowing over?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• Waterfall.jpg
    Waterfall.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 56

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Putting a bead of sealant or foam across the width underneath might act as a drip edge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No expert at all, but I think you might want to find a stone that has a negative edge (the top is further out than the bottom edge), at least that is what I have seen in a lot of videos discussing what stones are best for waterfalls. Your issue may also have to do with the flow of water, maybe needs to be a little stronger to push it over the edge, if it is slow then it might just grab to the edge and go under that you describe. Many here are not big fans of flagstone for waterfalls but sometimes you have to work with what you have. I am sure others will have ideas.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With a waterfall that tall and a catch basin that small you will always loose water out of the containment. Add some wind and it could empty your reservoir.

Taking a skill saw even with a wood blade though Carborendum blade is preferred and they are cheap but make sure to wear safety glasses and cut a double slot on the underside of the flag stone will create a drip line water for the most part will fall instead of running back to the wall.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a waterfall rock, 3-4 feet above ground. My rock has a sharp cut edge, the top edge a bit longer then the bottom edge. The water does not flow backward.

With the edge yours has, great looking, but not conducive to getting water to flow like your want.

Something on the underside, like said above , would help.

Ask a Question