addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pretty one jw, I need to figure best time to do, end of season or beginning of new season.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
TY addy and I've always re-potted mine in Spring. Figure that's when they need the fertilizer, not in fall, otherwise you gotta get in there again in Spring to add the fert.................told ya I am lazy :cheerful:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
JenH; the fabric pot or bag you describe can be left on the plant. Just cut off anything above the soil, place the whole thing in your oil pan or whatever, and add your kitty litter and fertilizer. As you noticed, the roots will just grow right through it. By the way, what is Osmocote? We don't seem to have it in Canada yet. :question:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
For what it's worth, most pond fertilizers are low in phosphates. Phosphates are considered a limiting factor for algae; without them, the algae cannot use other fertilizers. So in theory at least, pond fertilizer shouldn't encourage algae. John

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Thanks, j.w. I don't have my brain in gear yet!!! Of course we have it up here in the GWN. It's just that I was thinking "pond fertilizer", not flowers and such. I would be leery of using this product in the water, but if some of you have tried it with no problems, who am I to argue? John

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are all hardies, except for two tropicals that some have given me, they go into the basement.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cool addy I'll keep my fingers crossed that yours grow bountifully :fingersx:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ok, I got the new one from the drop and grow bag replanted. Iused the oil pan and cat litter.But I had already bought lily fertilizer tablets before I read what you all said about osmocote. Anyway. I couldn't get on here at all yesterday afternoon-evening. SO I foolowed some other site for planting, and added 3 of the tabs to the litter. I have no idea what to expect. The thing in the pot had no roots that I could tell, and just a few dried little stems sticking out of the top. So we will see. How long before I see some growth you think??

The other lily that is busting the pot I haven't gotten to yet, but plan to do the same way. Is there any triming or anything I should cut off to get it going in a new pot?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would just take a look at it, if there is any mush areas, or messed up roots trim them. The lily tabs will do fine. If you repot in the spring try the osmocote if you want to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well, I repotted the gift lily. I hope it lives through this, it was a mess there was gravel and clay in the pot. I liked to never got all the roots out. It had several tubers going in it, and the roots were a tangled matted mess. The diameter of its original pot probably 7" no wonder it was tearing. I checked the lily I planted 3 days ago from the drop and grow bag and it has absolutely no growth whatsoever. Still no roots, so I just took it out and used that pot to break up some of the other lily. I couldn't get all of the lily apart so there is technically 2 plants in one pot and 1 in the other. I really couldn't tell how the roots were growing since I couldn't get everything cleared from the tubre so I planted it in the middle of the oil pan. Plus I had 2 more little tubers that have a couple leaves and roots floating in a bucket of pond water right now, I don't know what to do with them!!??

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Anchor them with a rock in your pond and see how they do!

Ask a Question