What do you all do with your baby koi fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
We had about a dozen koi fry make it to a decent size last summer. Some of them are black and blend right in with the rocks, so it was difficult to get an exact count--the best we could do was try to count when they were feeding in one spot, but they move fast. Our pond is about 750 gallons, so I don't want the pond overcrowded. We gave about half of them to a friend of mine who has a pond too, and so far two have died this winter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They are not only hard to see but harder to catch .I caught a couple of hiding ones in December and they are already spoken for .I may keep the ones still in the pond .I was at 13 fish and now have 16 unless aggie or bert get hungry before they start getting fed again :)

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
How about minnow traps?

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 249
Reaction score
Nice setup you have there
thanks, it started out small and we just kept adding on. I think we are done with that now, it gets too expensive to do over.
we have 9 adult koi, a albino channel cat and a large mouth bass in there. and of course last years babies.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
How many adult koi do yiu have? I'm jealous as heck,I had in my mind a pond of that size when I dug mine but my lot is built on too much junky fill and I couldn't dig that deep. What a pain to have to empty it to get rid of babys. Maybe 5 or 6 cats and another half dozen bass would help!

Reaction score
How many adult koi do yiu have? I'm jealous as heck,I had in my mind a pond of that size when I dug mine but my lot is built on too much junky fill and I couldn't dig that deep. What a pain to have to empty it to get rid of babys. Maybe 5 or 6 cats and another half dozen bass would help!
8 or 9 adult koi, they are 30-32in long. we have good black dirt here till 3ft down then clay. the deepest part is 6.5ft deep in our pond.
kids swim in it all summer.

Reaction score
i told you all we have a ton of baby koi, well the sun is out and the ice has melted. here is a couple pictures of some of the baby koi trying to get some sun.

Attachments

• DSC01449.JPG
    DSC01449.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 291
  • DSC01450.JPG
    DSC01450.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 206

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh my! You do have a lot.

I just remembered that last year I saw someone put a sign in their yard advertising koi for sale on a specific day - and to bring your own container. Maybe that would work for you.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
i told you all we have a ton of baby koi, well the sun is out and the ice has melted. here is a couple pictures of some of the baby koi trying to get some sun.
Holy hell! That's a heck of a bunch of babies. I know they can't stay but it must really sting to have to destroy so many.

Ask a Question