Baby koi?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are these baby koi or minnows? I have some rosy red minnows but had read they will only produce gray babies. Could these be koi fry?

Attachments

• IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 328
Reaction score
Country
United States
The light colored ones couldn't be minnows right? Just the darker ones could be?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's kinda hard to say. The pics don't give enough info, and the fry might still be too young to have developed recognizable traits. A few years back I had fry and was trying to determine if they were RR's or GF [turned out to be RR's]. I have no idea what I've done with my "research" pics, but I Googled RR and GF fry to look for differences. There were subtle differences in fin shape and placement, and body contour that were evident even at a very young age. I had pulled these babies out of the pond and had them in an aquarium, so it was easier to get some profile pics. It was fun detective work, but I was disappointed that they weren't GF.......

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Ask a Question