What do you think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have a goldfish I got from the pet store. I have had it in an aquarium for 3 weeks to quarantine. When I first got it home, I noticed a swelling on one side of the body. I was hopeful it had eggs. Everything else about it is great. Healthy appetite, nice fins... everything. The swelling got larger and almost looked like it was developing a "head." I was watching for signs of raised scales, but they have stayed flat. Several days later, there are about 2 scales that are raised because there is a white "something" coming out from underneath.
I don't think it is ich. This looks almost fibrous and ich looks like grains of salt, right?
Whatever this is, it seems to be coming from that internal swelling and working its way out.
I thought fungal things grew on the skin surface -- this is definitely coming from inside.
I can try to get pix later.
Any ideas?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We had a shubunkin that grew a VERY LARGE lump on one side. The scales stayed smooth, the coloration pattern stayed the same - until one day we noticed a few lifted scales and the next day the fish was dead. The tumor/growth/cyst/lump - whatever it was - had apparently ruptured (it must have been fluid filled because it was like it was never there) and the fish was dead, just like that.

That fish lived for four years with that giant growth - it was like it swam around with a golf ball coming out of its side.

Who knows what it was. Just one of nature's weird happenings I guess. Maybe that's what your fish has... maybe not!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I wondered about carp pox, too. I looked up images of that and this doesn't look like it. Super weird.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ich looks like grains of salt, right?
ich treatment is proform c

bacterial infection usualy wont lift scales but it will make them fall off potassium pergonite for that

anchor worm can be removed with tweezers i believe proform works here too

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Get ready for some horrible pictures.
The little ding dongs were so excited, it was hard to get a good picture. (And I need to clean the algae off the glass.)
Keep in mind that this started as a good sized swelling on one side, with no scales raised at all.
It's like an alien is emerging, but it looks fungusy. Does fungus ever grow out of a big swollen body?
It is on the fish's left side (his own left) and you can see the one side is bigger. Fish is still perky as heck.

Attachments

• fish1.jpg
    fish1.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 18
  • fish2.jpg
    fish2.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 18
  • fish3.jpg
    fish3.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 16
  • fish4.jpg
    fish4.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 17
  • fish5.jpg
    fish5.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 17
  • fish6.jpg
    fish6.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 17
  • fish7.jpg
    fish7.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 16
  • fish8.jpg
    fish8.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Tomorrow I will clean the glass and try to get some better pictures. I'm glad I didn't put them in the pond!!!!
I should have taken it back the moment I saw the swollen body. But I was hoping it was eggs.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To me it looks more like an ulcer , usually caused by chlorine low ph , kh, gh or ammonia

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
It looks like that in the photos. But it all started with this big swelling, like a tumor looking swelling. It had that when I got it. No lifted scales or anything, but one side of the body, right behind the gills, had a large, tight and shiny, swelling. Like something under there inside the body. Then this white business began to emerge. Does an ulcer begin that way?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It looks like that in the photos. But it all started with this big swelling, like a tumor looking swelling. It had that when I got it. No lifted scales or anything, but one side of the body, right behind the gills, had a large, tight and shiny, swelling. Like something under there inside the body. Then this white business began to emerge. Does an ulcer begin that way?
Sorry and glad to say i never had to many fish with ulcers but those are basically burns. One other option is to add start right or stress coat from the aquarium trade. They have aloe and can help them heal

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
That might be easier to deal with than parasites! I will try stress coat!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have been treating the tank with a product called Lifeguard. (By Tetra.) I THINK the area might look a little better. The other fish is still apparently unaffected. Both of them are frisky and hungry. Other than the weird area on the side, the fish looks very good.
I have noticed, however, that they don't poop much. I thought goldfish were notoriously enthusiastic poopers. The sick fish (when I do see poops) has kind of strange, semi transparent poo. I've given them cut up, peeled green pea (which they loved.) I read that this is supposed to be good for their digestive systems. But I wonder if that is a sign of some parasite? I don't think I will ever feel comfortable putting them in the pond. I guess now they are house pets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeavyMetalPeach

Latest Threads