What Iris is this?

Meh

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey folks,
I bought a small pack of iris from walmart, but there is no indication on the packaging as to care or what type of iris it is.
I have no idea how i should plant it. I want it in my bog but am afraid it would die if its not a water Iris.
Any ideas? I
20240227_184803.jpg
20240227_184754.jpg
20240227_184741.jpg
thought maybe iris reticulata but honestly, they all look the same to me. Could be anything as far as im concerned!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Looks like Dutch iris, perfers well drained soil. It would probably rot in a bog.
Does it mean you can put it as a margin where the roots are getting water?

I've also seen varieties of the Yellow Iris which I understand can withstand water, although the varieties make it be not so much a Yellow Iris as there's a purple variety etc.

I know there's one type of Iris, it is maybe called the Japanese Iris that can also withstand water with no problem but just one I've seen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Siberian Irises and Flag Irises also can be grown in water. The only problem I have with them is that they do too well and multiply like crazy.
I thought Siberian Iris rot in water, but they can do fine if rhizome is not under water?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have something similar. Shinny leaves purple flowers. Mine self seed, grow in water, dirt, bog.

Meh

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all the replies.
The iris has a bulb, and aftet looking at the site water gardner posted, and you guys responses i decided it probably dutch iris. I planted it next to pond on the dry side of the liner. We had some really bad wind last night and this morning, hopefully it will be allright...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just to throw a wrench into the mix, Siberian Irises also grow from a bulb, not a rhizome. But whatever type it is, it should do well where you planted it.

I have what must be hundreds of them now, planted on each side of the waterfall rocks, not in water. They have done very well there, maybe too well!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have always referred to those as blue iris i have them growing in my pitcher plant bog, and again in water thats 8 inches deep. This makes me want spring soooo bad
BLUE IRIS (1 of 1).jpg
BLUE IRIS (1 of 1)-2.jpg
BLUE IRIS (1 of 1)-3.jpg
BLUE IRIS (1 of 1)-4.jpg

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
These are mine. They seed. Spread where they want.
Water, dirt, bog.
20220522_143703.jpg
20220524_135248.jpg

Meh

Reaction score
Country
United States
Both those are really nice looking Gbbud and addy. Hopefully my iris' will mature and spread.

@GBBUDD Have your pickerell rush started sprouting yet? I have mine submerged, they have tiny little sprouts started. Cant wait for them and other plants to start filling in.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Both those are really nice looking Gbbud and addy. Hopefully my iris' will mature and spread.

@GBBUDD Have your pickerell rush started sprouting yet? I have mine submerged, they have tiny little sprouts started. Cant wait for them and other plants to start filling in.
To be honest i do not know. I have not been up to the upper pond yet this year. theres no fish up there and it's basically an algae scrubber. But i would bet by the end of the week they will be we are looking at temps in the high 50's but LOTS AND LOTS OF RAIN.

Last edited:

Ask a Question