Bog filter irises

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm finding ta lot of different things on the internet rabbit-hole about irises in the bog. Planning out a new bog filter for my recently completed pond and I'd like to have a variety of irises in the gravel. Looking for types or iris that will grow in the bog and survive winter in Michigan. I've seen some info that Louisiana and Siberian irises are suitable for the bog but then some that says only 'true' water irises are. Would appreciate any clarity/suggestions on appropriate plants. Thank you

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have both siberian and louisana iris, ripped out the yellow water iris. It took over! Im in zone 7 and they winter over fine here.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have both siberian and louisana iris, ripped out the yellow water iris. It took over! Im in zone 7 and they winter over fine here.
And the siberian and louisiana are in the gravel, below the water line?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some in the water no soil, some in the bog, pea gravel, some in pots, kitty litter, all do great. We do freeze.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have some one and two year old LA irises that don’t want to bloom. They appear very healthy otherwise. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I believe I have deep purple almost like the color of a royal Cape they are in the water but only like 3 inches and they don't seem to like to bloom either. It's been so long I can't remember if they were bearded or not

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have some one and two year old LA irises that don’t want to bloom. They appear very healthy otherwise. Any suggestions?
It can take abit for them to really get going,Ime. The irises I have in my pond and bog didnt do much for the first year or so, then they take off and bloom like crazy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
One is in full sun with its crown at water level, the other in part shade in a marshy area. Each has about two square ft.

Reaction score
Country
United States
One is in full sun with its crown at water level, the other in part shade in a marshy area. Each has about two square ft.
Hopefully they're just building up strength and reserves to really put on a show down the line. As Jhn said, they can take a couple years to establish before they decide to flower.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Blue Flag Iris is my fav. Native in the U.S. and does really well in the bog. Slowly spreads but hasn't been to aggressive or anything for me.

IMG_7246 copy.jpg

Ask a Question